The CfD Communications Specialist is a creative storyteller with strong writing and digital media skills, ability to work quickly and independently and keen on understanding of news, writing for different voices and audiences, and the immovability of deadlines. Responsibilities cover content creation, digital media planning - including all main social media channels - content management, and day-to-day operations of the Center for Design communication initiatives. This includes web content, printed materials, events, newsletters, advertising and communicating across all channels of the Center for Design, working within established brand guidelines and coordinating systematically with CAMD's Creative and Marketing and Communications teams.
The Communications Specialist is responsible for creating and maintaining a consistent volume of high-quality feature articles, profiles, and announcements for CAMD website and newsletters; this person must be a strong multi-tasker and comfortable managing the entire life cycle of story production from concept through research interviews, drafting, editing, and formatting, including video editing. The ideal candidate will possess strong interpersonal skills to enable interaction with a wide array of audiences, from students to senior leadership.
The specialist will provide support for Center's social media efforts: they will identify social media trends and opportunities for engagement, creating a content calendar that highlights processes and ensures all relevant information is being promoted. This person must be able to track and measure reach and impact through regular monitoring of social media and website analytics, using data to drive continuous improvement. In addition, the position will be expected to upload photos and stories, generate a wide range of e-mail communications and digital invitations and printed materials for events (e.g., posters, flyers), maintain email lists, track events' RSVPs and to actively seek promotional stories.
The specialist collaborates in planning, organizing, running and documenting events and activities produced by the Center (e.g., CfD Conversations, Design Research Week), in coordination with the CfD Directors and CAMD Events Specialist and MarComm. The Communications Specialist reports to the Center's Associate Director and works collaboratively with the CAMD MarCom and Creative teams and entails shared management of the Center's Marketing and Communications support staff or Co-Ops.
The Communications Specialist may also engage in design research projects and teaching activities, subject to agreement.
1-3 years of experience in communicating research-related contents
Higher Ed experience a plus
Bachelor's degree in design, communications, marketing, or related fields required, Master preferred
Excellent writing skills and interpersonal skills
Experience with social media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
Familiarity with Mailchimp or other email marketing services
Experience with WordPress and other web-design platforms with knowledge of basic HTML preferred
Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
Proficient with the Adobe Creative Suite
Experience with video editing and post-production
Able to work effectively on teams and independently
Experience organizing and running (academic) events preferred
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES
1) Working within established brand guidelines and coordinating systematically with CAMD's Creative and Marketing and Communications teams, proactively develop and pitch story ideas, perform editing and light post-production, draft articles promoting and communicating Center's activities to students, faculty, programs, external communities; upload and format all kinds of content to Center's websites and other channels; work on marketing and events promotion, curate and generate monthly e-newsletters and annual reports; ensure brand voice consistency throughout written and figurative content.
2) Social media development. Help to increase awareness, engagement, and volume, target all stakeholders understanding and respecting diversity of audiences. Day-to-day monitoring and oversight of a broad range of digital channels.
3) Center's events planning and facilitation, track RSVPs, documentation, and publication/streaming, in coordination with College's offices.
4) Analyze and evaluate marketing initiatives, paying close attention to engagement, open and click-through rates on e-mail and social media, as well as views, comments, and any other feedback input, providing weekly/monthly stats reports to the Center's stakeholders.
5) Administrative tasks in support of the Center for Design.
Marketing and Communications
Northeastern University considers factors such as candidate work experience, education and skills when extending an offer.
Northeastern has a comprehensive benefits package for benefit eligible employees. This includes medical, vision, dental, paid time off, tuition assistance, wellness & life, retirement- as well as commuting & transportation. Visit https://hr.northeastern.edu/benefits/ for more information.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Founded in 1898, Northeastern University is a private research university located in the heart of Boston. Northeastern is a leader in worldwide experiential learning, urban engagement, and interdisciplinary research that meets global and societal needs. Our broad mix of experience-based education programs?our signature cooperative education program, as well as student research, service learning, and global learning?build the connections that enable students to transform their lives. The University offers a comprehensive range of undergraduate and graduate programs leading to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools.