The Communications and Program Assistant is responsible for supporting the Center for African Studies' communications efforts. The constituents include students, alumni, advisory board, leadership council, external and internal partners, and faculty affiliates. The communications portfolio includes marketing and branding, reports and publications (both print and electronic), media relations, and maintaining the CAS website and social media platforms. This position also supports the Associate Director with programming including conferences, workshops, data collection, and metrics tracking. The position works under close supervision from the Associate Director and Executive Director.
- Work closely with the Executive Director and Associate Director to implement the CAS communications strategy within associated budgets. The position will draft, propose, and contribute to the CAS communications strategy, with final approval from the ED/AD.
- Work within and outside Harvard to broaden CAS' reach to the community and to build connections with peer institutions domestically and in Africa. CAS markets its events and programming to University students, faculty, and researchers; the general public; K-16 educators; and higher education and NGO partners across Africa, among others. The position will grow our reach through social media engagement, website visits, and number of newsletter subscribers.
- Develop content for the CAS website, social media platforms, and mailing listservs.
- Produce and distribute online, print, and other CAS publications and marketing materials for programs and events.
- Engage and work with graphic designers, copy editors, photographers, videographers, and other external vendors as needed. The Comms Asst will assess when we need to engage external vendors and direct them in the staffing of CAS events or the production of CAS posters, graphic materials, etc.
-Maintain CAS photo and video archive.
- Maintain CAS branding, in coordination with the Africa Office. CAS branding includes our logo shield, stationary, business cards, and event posters as well as digital assets like the website, social media, and newsletter.
- Ensure appropriate use of the Harvard and CAS name, brand, and trademark as outlined by the Office of the Provost and other internal constituents.
- Develop and maintain media contacts across a range of outlets (local, national, and international; print, broadcast, radio, and electronic).
- Draft and distribute media releases under the guidance of the Executive Director.
- Track and manage invitation lists for events.
- Develop collateral for events including talking points and printed signage.
- Track metrics around event attendance, reach, and engagement.
- Staff a variety of events, conferences, and meetings on behalf of CAS.
- Support planning and organizing for CAS events, conferences, and meetings.
- Coordinate and implement CAS program logistics under the guidance of the Associate Director.
- Contact faculty, students, and staff on program involvement.
- Gather and maintain data and prepare reports on CAS programming, including the Annual Report.
All formal written offers will be made by FAS Human Resources.
Salary Grade: 055
Union: 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Associate or Bachelor's degree
Two or more years of related experience. Education beyond high school may count as experience.
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Experience in communications, public relations, or marketing
Ability to work under pressure and against tight deadlines
Superb organizational skills and attention to detail
Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
Ability to work in a collaborative team environment
Experience creating audiovisual content and knowledge of graphic design, publishing, and/or photo and video software applications (such as Open Scholar, Canva, InDesign, and/or Photoshop)
Experience in copy editing
Familiarity with social media platforms
Familiarity with or experience living or working in Africa
Some nights/weekends and occasional travel may be required
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About Harvard University Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. The University, which is based in Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts, has an enrollment of over 20,000 degree candidates, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Harvard has more than 360,000 alumni around the world. The University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, offering a truly global education. Established in 1636, Harvard is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States.