Associate Professor or Full Professor and School Head
Auburn University at Auburn
Location: Auburn, Alabama
Internal Number: 32499
POSITION: Twelve-month position. Associate Professor or Full Professor and Head, School of Industrial and Graphic Design (SIGD). Position is available beginning August 1, 2023.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The responsibilities of the Head are to work consultatively with the college Dean to provide visionary leadership and overall management of the School by engaging with students, faculty, staff, and alumni to shape school culture and experience. Specific responsibilities include the following:
· Serve as the senior faculty administrator and promote excellence in teaching, research and outreach while enhancing the visibility of the School
· Provide academic and administrative peer-driven leadership to the School
· Provide leadership for faculty development, program development and assessment, long-range planning, budgeting, and public relations
· Provide leadership for recruitment and retention of diverse students, staff, and faculty
· Foster strong connections between academic activities and research/creative scholarship
· Supervise and evaluate faculty and staff personnel
· Advocate for school interests, needs and programs
· Build relationships within the College, with other schools/colleges and with university leadership
· Serve as part of the College's Leadership team
· Engage actively with students to enhance the student experience
· Develop and maintain community and business partnerships
· Serve as a liaison to administration, alumni, and the community
· Optimize use of space and physical facilities
· Balance fiscal models, growth strategy, scale, and scope of programs
SCHOOL: The School of Industrial and Graphic Design (SIGD) is housed within the College of Architecture, Design and Construction at Auburn University. Begun in 1945 and reestablished on the Ulm model in the 1960s, the Industrial Design program was one of the first established and earliest National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) accredited programs in the nation. In 2007, the Graphic Design program joined Industrial Design with the unit gaining school status in 2014. The studio-based curriculums focus on teaching systematic approaches in the application of human-centered design and visual communication. Today, faculty in SIGD form a cohesive body that fosters a close-knit relationship with students through hands-on collaborative projects in both Auburn and Mobile studio locations. Balancing human needs, technical realities, and business intent, collaboration with industry partners and the advancement of professional practice have become key components of the academic experience.
For the past two decades, the school has partnered on collaborative projects and grown student internships with organizations and companies that include: 3M, IBM, Kate Spade, SapientRazorfish, the United Nations, HP, L'Oréal, Smucker's, PlayCore, Coca-Cola, NASA, Medium, Emerson Tool Company, Microsoft, and the Smithsonian Institution. As a result, SIGD graduates are known for their versatility in design practice and leadership, while its graduate and undergraduate programs in design have consistently ranked within the top 10 nationally. For more information about the School of Industrial and Graphic Design, please visit http://cadc.auburn.edu/design
COLLEGE: The College of Architecture, Design and Construction at Auburn University, established in 1907 is comprised of the School of Architecture, Planning & Landscape Architecture; The McWhorter School of Building Science; and the School of Industrial and Graphic Design. These academic units offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs that are consistently recognized both institutionally and nationally for their academic excellence and their continuous innovations in the fields of design, construction, and related education. For more information about the College of Architecture, Design & Construction, please visit http://cadc.auburn.edu
UNIVERSITY: Established in 1856, Auburn University is one of the nation's premier public land-grant institutions. In 2020, it was ranked 44th among public universities by US News and World Report. As a land-grant, sea-grant, and space-grant university with
Auburn University is dedicated to improving the lives and shaping the future of the people of Alabama, the nation, and the world through forward-thinking education, life-enhancing research and scholarship, and selfless service.
With generous benefits and opportunities, you have every reason to work here!