The American Bankers Association is the banking industry's champion. Joining ABA makes you part of a team that: • has Extraordinary People - ABA experts are the "go to" sources for bankers, policy makers and the media for credible information and insights for the banking industry. • has Unmatched Scope and Scale - ABA's unparalleled information and services keep members current, knowledgeable and prepared. • is Impact-Driven - ABA has a proven record of bringing about positive change for our members and the industry. We take action and achieve results. Plus competitive pay, an outstanding benefits package, a convenient DC location, a professional collegial work environment and an opportunity to work on issues of national significance equals a winning combination!
The Vice President, Copywriting Strategy leads the development of creative messaging and compelling content to help achieve the association’s marketing and business goals. The incumbent oversees the entire copywriting and copyediting function at ABA and supervises and coaches two copywriters.
The VP will work across multiple channels and touch points, the Copywriting Strategy team generates and contributes content focused on engaging ABA’s key audiences and building brand awareness to ultimately recruit and retain members and drive sales. The team’s work includes articulating and developing messaging for ABA’s products, services and events; developing comprehensive themes for marketing campaigns for these products, services and events; and producing compelling marketing copy to support them. The team also supports the website through participation in content strategy development and the crafting of copy to support the content strategy. The team also is relied upon for a range of other services, including drafting ad copy for advocacy and membership campaigns, drafting internal communications, contributing occasional articles and columns to the association’s flagship magazine and ensuring quality control and brand compliance by copyediting reports drafted by third parties.
The VP assigns and supervises work to ensure deadlines, high editorial standards and strategic messaging goals are met. While embedded in the Member Communications department, the incumbent is expected to work closely and collaboratively with the VP, Creative Director and the VP, Customer Experience to ensure the content and design work together to achieve desired goals and foster creative approaches. Together they also ensure that the process for producing creative – from concept to copy to graphic design – is efficient, effective and adhered to, identifying and implementing process improvements where needed.
The VP owns the consistent “voice of ABA” and its subsidiaries across channels: website, email, social media, digital and print ads and other marketing materials. Develops that voice in messaging, themes and copy for ABA conferences, meetings, schools, training products and courses, in collaboration with and recommending options to marketing managers, internal clients and designers.
• Coach internal staff and manages resources to ensure the association’s substantial copywriting needs are met. This includes overseeing their work to ensure it represents the consistent, sophisticated voice of ABA.
• Based on creative briefs and directives from subject-matter experts, develop original and persuasive print and web copy, marketing collateral and ad copy for conferences, endorsed products and services, training products and ABA member benefits and resources.
• Develop and oversees copywriting and proofreading intake process to ensure that marketing efforts align with product value proposition and ABA brand standards. Partner with the VP, Creative Director to oversee and refine established creative processes used by Marketing, Creative Services and Copywriting.
• Conceive, refines and develops content for ABA infographics and campaigns that support advocacy efforts and educate bankers and the public.
• Bachelor’s or advanced degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism, English, Social Sciences or related field.
•12-15 years of experience working within an agency, marketing communications firm or marketing communications function. Experience working with magazine, newspaper, online publication and/or trade associations preferred.
• Minimum of five years as lead copywriter and/or editor. Ability to articulate highly technical messages to non-technical audiences effectively.
• People management experience required.
• Experience with a workflow management system strongly preferred.
• Experience with GatherContent or Slickplan preferred.
• Experience working in financial services or banking preferred.
• Strong communication, attention to detail and project management skills are required; project management experience required.
• Ability to lead a team and work cross functionally successfully.
American Bankers Association (ABA) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, marital status, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, protected Veteran status, personal appearance, political affiliation, family responsibilities, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
ABA encourages and celebrates diversity so if you are motivated, hardworking and want to make a difference, come as you are!
The American Bankers Association is the united voice of America’s hometown bankers—small, regional and large banks that together employ more than 2 million women and men, hold nearly $17 trillion in assets, safeguard $12.8 trillion in deposits and extend more than $9 trillion in loans. ABA believes that government policies should recognize the industry’s diversity. Laws and regulations should be tailored to correspond to a bank’s charter, business model, hometown markets and risk profile. This policymaking approach avoids the negative economic consequences of burdensome, unsuitable and inefficient bank regulation. Through a broad array of information, training, staff expertise and other resources, ABA supports America’s hometown bankers as they perform their critical role as drivers of America’s economic growth and job creation.