Grand View University aspires to serve a diverse community of learners- students, faculty, and staff- in an inclusive and equitable environment with the goal of empowering all to achieve their fullest potential. Our objective is to sustain a campus environment that is free from the power imbalances and institutional biases that contribute to systems of oppression, while preparing our students to stand against those inequities when they leave Grand View.
Grand View University is dedicated to the goal of an inclusive campus where people of diverse identities feel welcomed and empowered to shape our culture and processes. At Grand View University we view diversity through the collective or group and we welcome and affirm the thoughts and experiences each distinct member brings to our community of learners.
Provides administrative and secretarial support to the Education Department faculty. Maintains data and works closely with faculty and Field Placement Coordinator. Works with a wide variety of both internal and external stakeholders to contribute to the successful operation of a high quality teacher preparation program. This is a full-time, 10 month position (August-May).
Essential Functions of Job:
1. Perform standard administrative assistant/secretarial duties as requested to support the Education faculty in a timely and accurate manner:
* Interact in a positive, friendly, professional manner with internal and external constituents
* Collect, provide, and distribute information requested among staff, faculty, and offices across campus.
2. Act as a professional point of contact for the Education Department.
* Be knowledgeable and helpful regarding academic programs, policies and procedures.
* Direct inquiries beyond scope of knowledge or authority to appropriate Department faculty or University personnel.
* Participate in university activities that foster spirit, teamwork, and morale.
* Maintain and observe consistent office hours: preferably 8:00 a.m. – 4:15 p.m. (including one hour lunch). Flexibility required in working before or after regular hours.
3. Support the functions of the Education Department
* Assist with registrations, hospitality, purchase orders, and other details for Ed Department related meetings.
* Update and distribute electronic applications, collect materials, and assist in verifying students’ eligibility for admission into the Education program.
* Assist Field Experience/Licensure Officer in licensure process, including driver education.
* Work with faculty and Field Placement Coordinator to acquire clinical placements and prepare handbooks, and other electronic or paper forms.
4. Support Education Department Chair
* Assist in various clerical tasks such as in the creation of faculty/adjunct teaching contracts, collection of waivers/payments for background checks.
* Record, archive, and distribute minutes of department-related meetings
* Maintain/track department budget and files on education students and graduates according to specified guidelines
* Distribute remuneration forms and supervisor evaluation forms to cooperating teachers. Prepare and process purchase orders for remuneration forms received.
* Inform education adjunct instructors of procedures for securing class lists, reporting grades, ordering textbooks/resources, verifying schedules, changing classrooms, printing copies, managing mail/messages/emails/phone calls, processing paperwork, using office space/equipment, etc.
5. Support Licensure Processes
* Work collaboratively with the Director of Teacher Education to review candidate applications for licensure and recommend candidates for licensure. Process licensure and endorsement applications by collaborating with the Registrar’s Office and Director of Teacher Education to verify that students have completed all program, graduation, licensure, and endorsement requirements prior to recommendation to the Board of Educational Examiners.
* Assist in keeping all teaching endorsements up-to-date at the state level by regularly reviewing the endorsements and making changes to exhibit sheets through the Department of Education’s electronic system. Assist Director of Teacher Education in the submission of curriculum exhibit sheets at the time of re-accreditation, and as academic program requirements change with each new catalog.
6. Assist with Assessment Processes
* Assist in management of electronic data systems and data entry as needed data and assist as needed with orientations and student/faculty questions.
7. Maintain various spaces:
* Monitor the use of the curriculum library including checking in/out of materials and re-shelving books.
* Maintain schedule for conference room- arrange meetings, catering, and other meeting needs as requested
* Coordinate with other Rasmussen secretarial staff to keep common work space well organized, supplies stocked, and equipment in working order. Report repairs/cleaning.
8. Train and supervise work study students in performance of general clerical duties.
9. Undertake special duties and projects under the direction of the Department Chair and Education Faculty.
10. Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
1. AA degree required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
2. Strong word processing, database, spreadsheet, and proofreading skills are required, including experience with data entry, report generation, and use of Microsoft Work, Excel, Outlook, Access, and/or Student Information Systems.
1. Mission, organization, policies, and rules of University and Department.
2. Office practices, bookkeeping, and computer programs. Record-keeping, data entry, and reporting techniques.
3. Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary.
4. Receptionist, public relations, communication, and telephone techniques.
1. Make arithmetic calculations quickly and accurately.
2. Understand and follow oral and written directions or vague and implicit instructions.
3. Demonstrate strong, positive interpersonal skills using tact, patience, courtesy, and confidentiality. Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills. Deal effectively with a variety of personalities, confidential materials, and sensitive situations requiring good judgment, tact, poise, and discretion.
4. Prioritize the management of multiple tasks concurrently without constant supervision and within deadlines.
5. Maintain complex and varied files, records, and databases.
6. Exhibit a professional image through dress, speech, attitude, and interaction with others.
7. Train and provide work direction and supervision to work-study students.
8. Learn new skills to improve the operation of the Education Department. Show initiative, self-confidence, flexibility, and commitment to personal and professional development.
This position requires:
1. Prolonged sitting. Physical stamina, eye-hand coordination, dexterity and a normal range of hearing and vision to receive, organize, and input data into the computer.
2. Communication by verbal feedback, email, and in writing in a professional manner.
3. The ability to carry out instructions within an existing work routine.
All applicants must apply through our online application system.
Grand View University is an equal opportunity employer. The University has a strong commitment to the principles of diversity and, in that spirit, seeks a broad spectrum of candidates, including women, members of minority groups, and people with disabilities.
Grand View is a Liberal Arts University that supports a diverse student population of approximately 2200 full and part-time students in both undergraduate and graduate programs. A University of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Grand View was founded in 1896 and is located in Des Moines, Iowa. Des Moines offers exceptional facilities for the enjoyment of lectures, concerts, museums, sporting events, and other cultural opportunities. Grand View welcomes traditional students and adult learners representing a wide range of religious and cultural backgrounds.