As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty.
Foster School of Business - Advancement has an outstanding opportunity for an Organizational and Board Communications Specialist!
The Organizational & Board Communications Specialist provides overall administrative assistance and program leadership for the Foster School of Business Advisory Board (FAB). This position supports and sustains the work of the Board, maintains knowledge of school priorities, facilitates meetings, and provides thoughtful guidance on strategic issues to internal stakeholders. This position will provide strategic and timely communication to all programs, departments, and centers within Foster.
Oversight and Management of the Foster Advisory Board
· Attend all board meetings. · Provide guidance and recommendations on future board members. · Help orient, onboard, and engage new Board members. · Draft and communicate the agenda and strategic goals for all upcoming board meetings. · Organize and execute all communication for the board. · Monitor, measure, and assess the effectiveness of board communications strategies and perceptions; providing strategic communication counsel and advice to the Dean of the Foster School and the Associate Dean of Advancement.
Communications and Foster Engagement
· Collaborate with internal staff to communicate relevant information and strategic communications from the board. · Develop effective communication strategies and manage internal communications within the school. · Assist in communication of strategies and messages from senior leadership to the school. · Execute communications plan, ensuring deliverables are produced and reviewed, and delivered on deadline, help revise and refine the communication plan, strategies, and tactics to align with key project phases, deliverables, and milestones. · Use experience, professional judgment and relationships with University partners and stakeholders to identify, plan for, and advise on decisions related to controversial, sensitive and/or time-sensitive issues, including developing communications plans and messaging to proactively address these issues. · Design, implement and manage integrated strategic communications and public affairs efforts that advance key initiatives and projects. · Coordinate communications both internally within the college, and to the broader university community. · Regularly communicate relevant information between different organizational centers and departments as relevant to Advancement.
Special Projects and Other Duties as Assignment
· Participate on task forces, committees and other forums that address the role of communications for the board. · Assist in event planning and execution related to the Foster School. · Other duties as assigned
Bachelor's degree in Public Relations, Journalism, Communications, Business, or related field and 2-3 years of experience.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
· Strong familiarity with modern communications and messaging philosophies, practices and tools. · Communication experience to internal audiences within a large organization. · Ability to be flexible, meet deadlines, and work independently. · Experience organizing communications and meetings for a large group of individuals with busy schedules. · Ability to communicate efficiently through multiple means of information sharing. · Ability to work with multiple vehicles of communication (social media, email, video, public speaking, etc.). ·Demonstrated strong computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint for correspondence, special reports, spreadsheets, databases, forms, etc. · Experience creating content for and working with multiple social media platforms. · Values the UW’s commitment to inclusiveness. Demonstrates respect and commitment to diversity.
· Experience working in an academic environment or previous executive board experience. · Experience with board management software platforms such as “On Board”, “Carta”, or “Boardspot” · Knowledge of alumni relations, development and or advancement principles. · Experience with the Marketo, CMSes, Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) a plus. · Experience with basic web design and video editing software and skill sets (text automation, embedding video into documents). · Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal interactions as well as written & verbal communication.
· Hybrid working environment is available. · Cubicle/Open workspace environment which may result in additional or higher levels of noise and visual distractions. · Ability to work evening and weekend hours, as necessary, on short or limited notice. · Must have regular and reliable transportation for local travel and willing to travel when necessary. -Frequent local travel expected. · A valid Washington State driver’s license is required to operate the UW Alumni Association Van. · Candidate selected must have personal transportation and be willing to travel when necessary. · Ability to lift 20 pounds regularly and up to 40 pounds occasionally for event setup and tear down. -During Events (from setup to tear down) or on Event days: •Ability to stand 4 or more hours continuously. •Ability to walk 4 or more hours continuously. •Ability Standing: duration of 4+ hours for events •Ability to work greater than a 10 hour day · Ability to travel out-of-state up to 2 times per year for events scheduled on evenings and weekends · Ability to travel internationally up to 2 times per year to perform duties and responsibilities as a UWAA Alumni Travel Program tour host.
Application Process: The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Founded in 1861, the University of Washington is one of the oldest public institutions in the west coast and one of the preeminent research universities in the world. The University of Washington is a multi-campus university comprised of three different campuses: Seattle, Tacoma, and Bothell. The Seattle campus is made up of sixteen schools and colleges that serve students ranging from an undergraduate level to a doctoral level. The university is home to world-class libraries, arts, music, drama, and sports, as well as the highest quality medical care in Washington State and a world-class academic medical center. The teaching and research of the University’s many professional schools provide undergraduate and graduate students the education necessary toward achieving an excellence that will serve the state, the region, and the nation. As part of a large and diverse community, the University of Washington serves more students than any other institution in the Northwest.