Associate Director - Schwartz Center for Economic Policy Analysis, NSSR
The New School
Location: New York, New York
Internal Number: 20064
The Associate Director (AD) of SCEPA works with the Director to secure, finance and advance economic policy research projects to fulfill the center's mission and theory of change. The Associate Director reports to the Director and manages the Center and its staff, which is undergoing significant growth with the success of the Retirement Equity Lab (ReLab) and other initiatives. The candidate will collaborate with the Economics to build and strengthen partnerships & coalitions to leverage SCEPA's effectiveness, including targeted reporters, non-profits, foundations, elected officials, other New School collaborators.
The ideal candidate will have good judgement, superb organizational and interpersonal skills, and experience communicating with external and internal stakeholders. They will also have experience in policy making at the state, city, or federal level and experience working with traditional media, including success eliciting coverage. The position requires working with senior researchers to interject questions of relevance for research as well as a strong racial equity competency and a commitment to eliminating stratification based on gender, race, and class.
The New School is strongly committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and particularly seeks applications from members of underrepresented groups, as well as candidates who share this commitment.
Responsibilities include the following:
Strategic Planning and Project Administration
● Work with the Director and Research Head to establish the Center's main priorities.
● Collaborate with ReLab senior staff to manage and coordinate overall workflow of both SCEPA and ReLab work teams.
● Set an agenda to accomplish goals, including needs for fundraising, research projects, public outreach, coalition-building, and targeted events. Includes setting and reviewing benchmarks.
● Supervise workflow, deadlines and deliverables for existing SCEPA projects.
Operations and Budget Manager
● Establish strategic and budgetary needs, including hiring staff, for SCEPA and ReLab.
● Manage SCEPA's Assistant Director who facilitates events, grants and administrative support and part-time student assistant who provides general assistance.
● Manage Center's budget, including grants, contracts, consultants and vendors
● Coordinate fundraising support and strategy with university development team and university officers.
● Develop and maintain annual budgets in accord with budgets submitted to and approved by grant makers and collaborate with divisional and university budget officials on grants support and reporting.
● Position brand as the premier academic institution for progressive economics Implement comprehensive communications program, inserting outreach goals in project planning and targeted press outreach.
● Manage, maintain and promote two websites, including SCEPA and Director Teresa Ghilarducci, as our integrated, interactive online presence.
● Create and promote content and visibility.
● Establish faculty as thought leaders in economic specialties by promoting research in public affairs arena.
● Manage and facilitate creating visuals, infographics and video for research and policy projects.
● Manage, maintain, and grow branded social media tools, including Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
● BA Required
● 3+ years of related experience
● Experience in or knowledge of policy making at the state, city, or federal level
● Experience working with traditional media, including success eliciting coverage
The New School, a leading university in downtown New York City, offers degree and nondegree academic programs in design, the social sciences, the liberal arts, management, the arts, and media. Students benefit from small classes, superior resources, and renowned faculty members who practice what they teach. Continuing education courses and public programs place the university at the center of New York’s cultural and intellectual life.