Job no: 502850 Position type: Full-Time 12-Month Department: 320100 - General Library Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS Categories: Professional Position Open Date: Jul 9 2021
This position will serve as the graphic designer and lead paginator within the library's Digital Media Center, coordinating design work for a variety of media including, print, web and video. This position reports to the Coordinator of the Digital Media Center. Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., or 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., with occasional evening duties.
The University Libraries provide their communities of users an ongoing, creative and technologically advanced program.
Area of Specialization:
Digital Media Center
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Focus on production design, graphic design, and photography in support of the Library's print publications and online presence 2. Provide support and leadership to faculty, staff and students in the learning of new technologies and in crating publication materials 3. Conceive ideas, concepts, and campaigns to promote the Mississippi State University Libraries 4. Design and produce multifaceted communication materials in print, and other mediums for a variety of departments 5. Confer with clients to discuss and determine layout design 6. Supervise, train, and direct the work of a student art intern and other student assistants
1. Bachelor's Degree in Public Relations, Graphic Design, Communication Art, or related field 2. Minimum of two years' demonstrable design experience in a variety of media including print, web and video with a university, business or organization.
1. Graphic Designer, with publications and pagination experience 2. Deadline-driven, energetic, detail-oriented team player 3. Self-starting, versatile designer who has the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and the desire to multitask on a variety of projects, large and small, while producing accurate, high quality, creative work
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Be proficient with InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat, as well as Microsoft Office software programs * Be able to take direction and constructive feedback, and be willing to adapt or rethink original ideas based on that feedback * Communicate effectively, in both written and spoken form * Be a strong creative presence in meetings * Have a knowledge of print production and pre-press processes and technologies * Have a familiarity with higher education and the ability to relate with faculty members and students of diverse backgrounds and instructional responsibilities * Have the ability to balance quality and productivity * Have a continuing commitment to professional development and growth * Be a dynamic, friendly, and ethical person with strong desire to work with both student and faculty learners
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
* No unusual physical requirements. Requires limited lifting of files and records and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility; * Frequent-External imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one's control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position; involves conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotional issues or stress on a regular basis; * Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands.
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Internal Number: 502850
About Mississippi State University
Mississippi State University represents the highest level of research activity for doctorate-granting institutions and is designated by the Carnegie Foundation as an R1-Very High Research Activity University. Also, a National Science Foundation “Top 100” research University, MSU shelters a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s oldest and most prestigious honor society, and values the talents of our distinguished faculty, staff, and student scholars. Here, a culture of inclusion is fostered and we’re driven each day to make a difference at the local, state, regional, national and global levels. At Mississippi State University we invite you to join us as we continue our momentum in research, teaching, and service.
To apply, please go to http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/