The University of Southern California (USC), founded in 1880, is located in the heart of downtown L.A. and is the largest private employer in the City of Los Angeles. As an employee of USC, you will be a part of a world-class research university and a member of the âTrojan Family,â which is comprised of the faculty, students and staff that make the university what it is.
University Advancement is committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture in which all advancement staff and our stakeholders have the opportunity to connect, belong, and grow while supporting the University of Southern Californiaâs mission, values, and goals.
USC University Advancement division is seeking an Assistant Director to join its USC Associates team.Â This position reports to and provides direct support for the Senior Associate Director of the USC Associates in planning and executing events in support of the universityâs stewardship and cultivation for the premier academic donor society â the USC Associates.Â
Main responsibilities include: Â planning and managing all Associates events and co-sponsored events both in-person and virtually; coordinating and copywritingÂ media highlighting members and student scholars; administrating all e-communications and social media channels; assisting in writing correspondences,Â video messages, and printed materials;Â serving as liaison with central advancement communication office to ensure a dynamic website and materials for the USC Associates program; and stewarding members.Â There is a strong preference for candidates with equal skills in high-end/VIP event planning, strategic communications and member stewardship.
Essential Functions Â
The following are essential job qualifications:
1. Experienced professional event planner with expertise in reviewing and negotiating vendor contracts.
2. Strong copywriter to write and compile e-newsletter, professional correspondences, speeches as well as all mass e-communications, invitations and brochures.
3. Excellent computer skills, specifically Excel, with the ability to prepare multifaceted spreadsheets and lists with exceptional accuracy, in addition to social media and electronic marketing experience.
4. Superior customer service demeanor, ability to engage and steward members and high level phone and relationship building skills.
5. Strong organizational skills with the foresight to prioritize, plan deadlines and ability to multi-task.
6. Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a high-volume, deadline-driven environment with speed, efficiency and extreme attention to detail.
7. Excellent people skills with the personality to engage and collaborate with all university colleagues as well as external organizations, providing VIP programming and stewardship for USC Associate members.
8. Ability to proofread and ensure accuracy of all documents, including but not limited to: Â invitations, articles, contracts, emails, spreadsheets and reports.Â
9. Ability to liaise with the Central Advancement communication office to ensure high-end marketing materials.
10. Positive disposition to provide daily support for both USC Associatesâ member requests and office needs.
11. Ability to take initiative and find solutions as issues arise.
12. Willingness to perform other duties as assigned or requested.
13. Available to work flexible hours; some nights, weekends and travel required particularly during the fall.
14. Must have Bachelorâs degree.
1. Requires a Bachelor's Degree with experience in a multi-task environment, as well as proven communication, leadership, and negotiation skills.
2. One to three years experience in high-end/VIP event planning and management as well as high-end donor stewardship/cultivation and strategic communications or equivalent combination of education and experience is essential.
Required Application Documents
Please provide a cover letter along with your resume. Please ensure both of these documents are attached. Â
USC has excellent benefits, including health benefits for staff & their family with access to the renowned university medical network; retirement plans with employer contribution when you meet Programâs eligibility period; tuition benefits for staff & their family; free professional development online courses; central Los Angeles location with easy access to commuter trains, buses & free tram pick up services; discounts to football, basketball & other campus events. Â
The University of Southern California values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education.Minimum Experience: 3 years, Combined education/experience as substitute for minimum experience.Minimum Field of Expertise: Public relations, communications, journalism or related field.
USC is the leading private research university in Los Angeles—a global center for arts, technology and international business. With more than 47,500 students, we are located primarily in Los Angeles but also in various US and global satellite locations. As the largest private employer in Los Angeles, responsible for $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic and professional schools and administrative units. As a USC employee and member of the Trojan Family—the faculty, staff, students, and alumni who make USC a great place to work—you will enjoy excellent benefits, including a variety of well-being programs designed to help individuals achieve work-life balance.