Your Journey with us began the moment you made the choice to seek a career with Banner Health. Whether you are just beginning your career or your Journey has spanned 30 years, Banner's employer commitment is: "We'll help make a difference in your life and career so you can make a difference in the lives of others."
Good health care is key to a good life. At Banner Health, we understand that, and that's why we work hard every day to make a difference in people's lives. We've united under a common goal: Make health care easier, so life can be better. It's a lofty goal, but it's one we're committed to seeing through. Do you like the idea of making a positive change in people's lives - and your own? If so, this could be the perfect opportunity for you. Apply now
The East Valley HIMS Department performs Document Imaging functions , Quality Control processes and Facility Release of Information associated with the electronic health record (EHR). This is a Sun- Thursday position 10:30am-7pm. This position will be based at Banner Desert , however, as a Float position, periodic re-location to alternate East Valley Facilities and or schedule changes to cover Document Imaging and/or Release of Information functions will be required.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Within Banner Health Corporate, you will have the opportunity to apply your unique experience and expertise in support of a nationally-recognized healthcare leader. We offer stimulating and rewarding careers in a wide array of disciplines. Whether your background is in Human Resources, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Managed Care Programs or Public Relations, you'll find many options for contributing to our award-winning patient care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position coordinates and performs the daily operations work of designated areas within the health information management systems (HIMS) department. May act in a leadership role and as a liaison between management and the staff. Facilitates the delivery of high quality customer service to external customers. Responsibilities typically include the monitoring and direction of daily workflow and involvement in process improvement/quality monitoring functions.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Assist with the orientation, training and re-education of HIMS staff. Liaison between management and the HIMS staff for the purpose of coordinating staff schedules and communication of information and/or resource in providing information and HIMS department services. Promotes open communication, effective point of service decision making and problem solving while interacting with internal/external customers to ensure positive resolutions and customer satisfaction. Serves as a key liaison between staff, physicians, other departments and other departmental customers.
2. Monitor daily workflow processes, complete daily activities, and identify and communicate to leadership any opportunities for improvement as needed. Identify, address and communicate opportunities to improve work processes and practices good work group dynamics. May serve as a backup to other staff members to ensure the department operations are efficiently and effectively maintained.
3. Coordinate the compiling of department statistics, generating performance reports, and facilitating special projects, as required including assisting in the development of targets and action plans to achieve department goals.
4. Support and ensure the integrity of Electronic Medical Record through monitoring and auditing activities, including management of provider deficiencies and record completion identified through various reporting tools. May coordinate physician suspension process.
5. Conducts routine and complex releases of health information in accordance with company policy and all state and federal laws. May act as a liaison to HIMS techs and is knowledgeable with applicable federal and state regulations and Banner Health policies related to release of health information and HIPAA.
6. Support the coding function, acting as a liaison between HIMS operations, coding, registration, physicians, and other facility or system departments as applicable to facilitate the record completion, coding, and billing process.
7. Provide customer service and assistance related to HIMS departmental functions to patients, vendors, physicians, ancillary staff, and other departments in person, over the telephone, through email, or by other means.
8. Perform a variety of other support functions including assistance with transcription issues and requests, providing training for Dragon/voice recognition applications, assisting patients with completion of portal enrollment, performing merges and combines in the Electronic Medical Record, answer ringing telephones, and other duties as assigned by HIMS leadership. As applicable to the facility, may work with state recording agencies, such as reporting all facility births to the state vital health records department and meeting the state reporting guidelines for such.
9. Works under general supervision and provides leadership and expertise to a work team. Solves problems using defined procedures and a learned expertise in medical records regulatory requirements. Holds department responsibility only, although is involved in implementing system-wide activities. Customers are internal and external: physicians, volunteers, medical staff services and nursing.
Requires the knowledge of health information practices and principles as normally demonstrated through completion of one or more years of post-high school education in medical records and in information systems.
Must demonstrate a thorough knowledge of health information management practices and principles and have a working knowledge of medical terminology as normally acquired over 3 or more years of related work experience in medical records. Experience coordinating work functions of groups of individuals is preferred. Must be able to exercise independent judgment, prioritize work have good problem solving skills. Strong verbal, written communication, leadership and interpersonal skills are required.
Strong technical skills in using office and medical records software applications and databases. Must be knowledgeable of all HIMS department functions and processes.
Current enrollment in the Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) or Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) Program. Experience coordinating work functions of groups of individuals is preferred. A background in the use of medical terminology for the assigned area is preferred. Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.