The Department of Radiology is a major clinical, academic and service department of the University of Washington Medical Center (UWMC) and Northwest Hospital. Serving a wide variety of patients and care acuity, the Department is an essential service within UW Medicine in both the inpatient and outpatient settings. This includes operations in 7 sites of practice and close partnerships throughout the UW Medicine system.
UW Medicine Radiology has an outstanding opportunity for a full time day shift HEALTH SERVICES - ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF INTERVENTIONAL RADIOLOGY AND BODY PROCEDURES.
The Health Services Assistant Director is responsible for assisting the Associate Administrator of Radiology, IR Section Medical Director and Physician site leader with all aspects of the department operations and functions within the Interventional Radiology(IR) and Body Procedures (BP) services. In the absence of the Associate Administrator, assumes departmental charge responsibilities. Through managers, supervisors and leads is responsible for directing the business, technical and support activities for the department of Radiology. Oversees administrative functions of the IR & BP department including operations, marketing, facilities, finance, capital purchases, human resources and planning and development. Insures efficient, highest-quality and safe patient service at the lowest cost.
The Health Services Assistant Director will oversee the IR & BP radiology services a the Northwest Hospital main campus and UWMC Montlake Campus. This will require frequent travel to these locations to assure consistent service standards, integration of operations and provide leadership and structure for the department.
This position is responsible for all aspects of the patient and provider experience associated with Interventional Radiology and Body Procedures services. The success of these critical departments is important to the financial well being of the medical center as well as the pillar goals of patient access, quality care, efficiency, employer of choice. Operational efficiency and patient safety are of the utmost importance in these service areas. The IR & BP services departments are a complex mix of highly acute patient populations and several clinical teams that come together to provide care such as Radiologists, Neuro Surgeons, Vascular Surgeons, nurses, technologist with partners in the OR, Anesthesia and Cardiology. These services operate out of 5 IR labs, 2 hybrid ORs, and many procedure suites across two campuses. Focus on integration and alignment of services, operations and policies and procedures across both UWMC campuses is essential.
• Operates as dyad partner with the physician Section Leader of Interventional Radiology Provides leadership and direction in accordance with organizational goals, objectives and initiatives and in a fashion that supports integration and standardization across both UWMC campuses. • Continually works on performance improvement activities within the IR & BP service in collaboration with the associate administrator, medical director, supervisors, radiologists and staff, and with other departments as appropriate. • Works collaboratively with the Vice Chair of Radiology, IR Medical Director, Faculty and Assistant Administrator of Radiology to ensure success of the department. • Identifies, develops and implements business plans/initiatives to enhance departmental operations and performance goals. • Fosters good public relations for the department in meeting service level and quality measure goals and targets. May be called upon for business Outreach and presentations regarding our service. • Collects, analyzes and present statistical and other data pertinent to departmental operating and planning discussions. Contributes to long and short term strategic planning and departmental operations improvement. • Embodies the UW Medicine Service Culture Guidelines and develops supervisors and staffs skills to support these guidelines. • Through professional organization affiliation, recognizes changes in healthcare environment and develops strategies to mitigate impacts. • Regularly communicates through department meetings with supervisors and staff and key partners such as the Department of Anesthesia. •Develops and supports a culture of learning for the department of IR & BP teams. • Represents the Department of Radiology in various committees and task forces as needed. • Actively participates in construction planning, equipment installation and renovation.
• Responsible and accountable for the overall technical operation of the Interventional Radiology & Body Procedures services at NWH and Montlake Radiology departments and each of its modalities and locations. • Responsible and accountable for the overall operations and service level at the UWMC Montlake and NWH locations. Focus on integration and alignment of operations and functions at both campuses • Management, oversight, maintenance and improvement of the business functions and processes for IR & BP. • Must be knowledgeable in the detailed operation of the Radiology Information System, PACS, Cerner (REMOV), Epic, electronic order entry and clinical decision support systems. Assures appropriate, effective utilization of the systems by supervisors/leads/staff. Identifies and recommends system/process enhancements. • Oversees the hospital billing and compliance process in IR & BP for: Technical billing, account rejection, resolution of registration/pre-authorization/ABN issues, charge master/CPT codes/RVU updates/APC education, research/special billing tracking and processing. • Coordinates with the Supervisors, IT Director, QA/QC Education Coordinators, Physics, and Radiology Faculty to achieve integrated departmental operations across both sites. • Manages operations of the IR & BP Departments at both sites in a cost-effective manner to insure patient, physician, visitor and staff satisfaction, as well as safety, efficient patient flow, optimum use of equipment, and highest quality diagnostic results. • Interfaces with hospital departments to provide effective service and support systems for the Department of Radiology. This includes Finance, Patient Care Services, Ambulatory Care, Materials Management, Process Improvement and all other partners within the medical centers and clinics. • Coordinates and directs the patient care program to assure patients’ needs are met and that facility policies are followed in an environment that optimizes patient safety. • Monitors patient scheduling, surgical scheduling, referrals and clinical capacity issues and takes necessary actions to address problems. • Monitors utilization of equipment and supplies; oversees supply ordering program. • Supervises staff to ensure quality of care. • In collaboration with medical and nursing leadership, ensures evidence-based practice appropriate to the clinic specialty in integrated into clinical operations.
• Assists with development, justifications, and achieving the fiscal budgets for the cost centers within the Interventional Radiology and Body Procedures service areas. Monitors patient revenues, expenses and provides appropriate reports to the Director and Medical Director as well as the modality supervisors and other radiologists/providers. Takes actions to correct problematic areas. This represents a cumulative budget of $18 million in contribution margin and $11 million in expenses annually. • Provides variance reports and corrective action recommendations on all budget variances below the projected performance. • Assists with managing revenue cycle flow in the department to ensure timely submission of charges. This includes monitoring late charges, denials and working with all areas and adjacent departments to optimize efficiency and effectiveness. • Manages imaging demand and volume to meet budgeted volume projections in collaboration with medical staff leadership. Takes corrective action in indicated. • Actively participates in healthcare benchmarking and business performance metrics. Adjusts performance and operations accordingly.
Human Resource management: 10%
• Assists with and makes recommendations for guidance and oversight of all HR related matters, policies and practices within the department of Radiology. Ensures consistency in HR practice within the department for all 100+ FTE's. •Provides oversight of all hiring, completion of regular performance evaluations, performance improvement, counseling employees, developing staff and, as appropriate, utilizing the disciplinary process and recommending termination of staff. When necessary, recommends the discharge of staff in consultation with the Assistant Administrator. • Directly supervises 1 manager, 2 Supervisors and several leads. Completes annual evaluations, monthly rounding, staff development and corrective action as appropriate. • Continual focus on being an employer of choice. This includes staff development, new employee onboarding and team building initiatives as needed.
- Assists with adherence to Compliance Program Policies, procedures, and standards of conduct as well as to Ambulatory, UWMC, NWH and UW Medicine policies and procedures. - Ensures that the departments meet regulatory standards (I.E. Joint Commission, DOH and the American College of Radiology). - Completes required documentation including audits and surveys. Responsible for hiring, completion of regular performance evaluations, performance improvement, counseling employees, developing staff and, as appropriate, utilizing the disciplinary process and recommending termination of staff. Directly supervises modality supervisors, site supervisors and support supervisors (4 FTE).
As an employee you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please view this page.
Bachelors' degree in Science, Nursing, Radiology or Business. Professional certification or license in ARRT. Or equivalent education/experience. 5-7 years' experience as a Procedure Services/Interventional Services leader.
MBA or MHA desired. Academic hospital experience. Demonstrated experience in planning, construction and equipment installations. Analytic skills and leadership in process improvement Exceptional communication skills; both verbal and written. Proficiency with RIS and PACS systems. Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite.
Founded in 1861, the University of Washington is one of the oldest public institutions in the west coast and one of the preeminent research universities in the world. The University of Washington is a multi-campus university comprised of three different campuses: Seattle, Tacoma, and Bothell. The Seattle campus is made up of sixteen schools and colleges that serve students ranging from an undergraduate level to a doctoral level. The university is home to world-class libraries, arts, music, drama, and sports, as well as the highest quality medical care in Washington State and a world-class academic medical center. The teaching and research of the University’s many professional schools provide undergraduate and graduate students the education necessary toward achieving an excellence that will serve the state, the region, and the nation. As part of a large and diverse community, the University of Washington serves more students than any other institution in the Northwest.