Incumbents are responsible for coordinating a broad range of activities and operations related to a recreational facility or area including supervising assigned staff. Responsibilities may include selecting, training, and scheduling staff; assigning tasks and monitoring performance; monitoring the maintenance of facilities and equipment; purchasing equipment, materials, and supplies; developing and monitoring a budget; marketing facilities and services; recommending and implementing goals, policies and procedures; maintaining records; and preparing operational and financial reports. Receives general guidance from the Recreation Manager and higher level supervisory staff.
This position is driving essential (see driving requirements below).
Typical Class Essential Duties:
1. Supervises assigned staff to include: authorizing time off, approving payroll and hiring; prioritizing and assigning work; conducting performance evaluations; ensuring staff are trained; ensuring that employees follow policies and procedures; maintaining a healthy and safe working environment; and making hiring, termination, and disciplinary recommendations.
2. Coordinates and assigns day-to-day activities of assigned staff and prioritizes projects relating to a recreation facility or area.
3. Develops, organizes and evaluates recreational programs and services including identifying community needs, evaluating trends, recommending new/revised programs, and scheduling facilities, staff, contractors, and equipment.
4. Monitors equipment and supply inventories; purchases equipment and supplies as needed; maintains equipment as necessary.
5. Establishes schedules and methods for providing recreation services; identifies resource needs; reviews needs with appropriate management staff; and allocates resources accordingly.
6. Monitors the condition and operation of recreational facilities, grounds, and equipment; documents conditions; coordinates repairs as needed.
7. Meets with public groups, clubs, organizations, and agencies to explain and promote community services, activities, and programs that encourage community participation.
8. Conducts accident and injury investigations after each incident and implements corrective actions to ensure the hazard is reduced or eliminated.
9. Assists with budget preparation and administration; prepares costs estimates and justifications for budget items; submits and approves invoices for payment and monitors expenses to align with budget allocated.
10. Keeps current on new trends and innovations in recreation services.
11. Prepares operational and statistical reports.
12. Responds to and resolves citizen concerns and complaints.
13. Represents the City of Casper by responding to the public, citizens, its employees, and others in a prompt, professional, and courteous manner while continuously maintaining a positive customer service demeanor.
14. Follows all City safety procedures. Reports all accidents/incidents to supervisor.
15. Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
Knowledge (position requirements at entry): Knowledge of:
Applicable age-appropriate activities, programs, and materials.
Basic operational characteristics, services and activities of a recreation program.
Current trends and innovations of recreation services and activities.
Applicable Federal, State, Local and City government codes, rules and regulations relating to the various aspects of a recreation program.
Principles of supervision, training and performance evaluations.
Public relation principles.
Record maintenance systems and techniques.
Research methods and techniques.
Data analysis methods.
Mathematical and statistical principles.
Customer service principles.
Computers and related software applications.
Basic principles of municipal budgeting preparation and control; inventory principles.
Abilities (position requirements at entry): Ability to:
Prepare and distribute publicity concerning new or ongoing recreation services.
Understand community needs in a variety of recreation areas and evaluate activities according to those needs.
Plan, develop and implement a variety of recreation programs and services.
Develop bid specifications for the purchase of capital equipment.
Coordinate the work of personnel.
Create and review reports; perform analysis.
Manage projects and programs efficiently.
Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
Follow applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations.
Maintain a neat and professional appearance.
Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
Follow written and verbal instructions and direction.
Provide leadership and direction.
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Skills (position requirements at entry): Skill in:
Monitoring and evaluating employees.
Delegating and prioritizing work.
Speaking in public.
Providing customer service.
Performing mathematical and statistical calculations.
Basic principles of budgeting.
Compiling, analyzing, and summarizing information.
Oral and written communication, sufficient to exchange or convey effective information and to give/receive work direction.
Operating modern office equipment, software and operating systems/applications.
Internal Number: 1154-02
About City of Casper - Casper Recreation Center
To review current job openings and submit an application, visit our job opportunities at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/casperwy