The school now seeks to secure a Development Director to help further its mission and more fully engage constituent and philanthropic sources of support. The ideal candidate will be well versed in all areas of school development, while possessing the requisite skill sets to build, maintain, and grow meaningful relationships throughout its constituencies. The next Development Director will be expected to bring the energy, charisma, executive administration, and fund-raising skills necessary for this school community to build on its considerable strengths while delivering Northern Alabama’s best value in a Catholic college preparatory education.
Responsibilities for this position include:
• Develop and lead fund development activities to increase constituent involvement and fund-raising outcomes.
• Identify, cultivate and solicit annual, major, and planned gifts from stakeholders.
• Plan, coordinate, implement and maintain comprehensive development and alumni programs.
• Maximize volunteers and volunteer relationships to raise funds, increase support, and assist in planning special events.
• Supervise development and business office employees on day to day activities and major events coordination.
• Create digital/social media content to raise funds for the school as well as to market the school in the community.
• Expand and enhance existing relationships with supporting parishes, including timely communications with priests, parishioners and feeder schools.
• Expand the outward presence of JPII in the greater Huntsville/Madison County community and work toward increased recruiting efforts and overall student enrollment.
• Report directly to the Headmaster.
• Collaborate with the Headmaster, pastors, trustees and volunteers on major gift cultivation and solicitation efforts for ongoing fund-raising activities and events. Work directly with and support the efforts of staff, parents, alumni, and other volunteers with respect to the school Advancement and Alumni Programs.
• Coordinate the activities for annual giving programs, alumni programs, special events, research, donor relations, corporate and foundation relations and planned giving to ensure appropriate assignments of projects and adequate support for performance of duties.
• Develop and submit comprehensive funding proposals to foundations and corporations.
• Ensure timely and relevant communications with the entire school community, including religious, administration, faculty, staff, alumni, parents, grandparents, parishioners, corporations, foundations and alumni first tier relatives.
• Identify, cultivate and solicit major gift projects.
• Prepare and monitor an accurate and timely annual budget for the Advancement Office.
• Collaborate with the Headmaster and JPII Board of Trustees Advancement Committee to develop short and long-term development planning and reporting.
• Manage the day-to-day functions of the Development Office.
• Represent JPII at community and school events.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
• Degree in a business administration or non-profit management field preferred
• Minimum of five years of executive level experience in Advancement/Development with staff management, annual fund, major gifts, planned giving, capital campaign, event planning, marketing, recruitment, and public relations experience.
• Certified Fundraising Executive certification desired. Desired Qualities and Characteristics
• Executive presence to inspire confidence, passion, and persistence among all stakeholders in an ambitious, fast-paced, and results-oriented period of organizational change.
• Christ-centered servant leader that embraces, models, and champions the traditions and values of a Catholic education.
• Accomplished visionary with demonstrated success in addressing immediate school community needs and long-term goals.
• Experience in fiscal management, strategic planning, and oversight is expected.
• Exceptional communication, digital/social media communication, interpersonal, and public speaking skills while serving as a highly visible leader of St. John Paul II Catholic High School in building constructive relationships with all stakeholders that inspire crucial support in its school advancement initiatives.
• Quantifiable success in the design, implementation, and management of effective cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies at the individual, family, corporate, and foundation levels.
• Highest degree of integrity, authenticity, and transparency, with attention to detail.
• Positive, energetic, accessible and approachable style with a willingness to relate to all stakeholders.
• Strong leadership and team building skills with an aptitude for guiding and mentoring direct reports.
• Expert knowledge of best practices in the management of robust development processes and functions.
• Demonstrated ability to plan and operate strategically, build public support, strengthen infrastructure, inspire staff and the Board of Directors, and develop effective programs.
• Skilled at identifying, attracting, developing, and retaining high-quality, mission- driven advancement professionals and volunteers with a commitment and passion for achieving organizational goals.
• Computer proficiency with proven knowledge of Raiser’s Edge, Microsoft Office Suite, and related departmental software platforms. Strong knowledge base of all social media platforms.
• Fair, fun, and compassionate executive who embraces collaboration while leading with missionary zeal.
About St. John Paul II Catholic High School
St. John Paul II Catholic High School is a college preparatory school for grades 9-12, located in
Huntsville, Alabama. Founded in 1996 as Catholic High School, St. John Paul II Catholic High
School is sponsored by the Diocese of Birmingham in Alabama. We are a school rooted in faith
and exist to provide a Catholic education to help our children reach the fullness of a Christian
life. We are a school that develops its students in body, mind and spirit. Today's graduates
exemplify this success with a legacy of National Merit Finalists; scholarship awards in
academics, arts, athletics; and 100 percent college acceptance. St. John Paul II Catholic High
School prepares students for acceptance at world-class colleges and universities, with a rich
course offering in all disciplines, including opportunities for advanced studies.
St. John Paul II Catholic High School develops young people in spirit, mind and body to foster a
lifelong discipleship of Christ in the sacramental life of the Church. We encourage, challenge,
and support each student to learn enthusiastically, lead honorably, and live responsibly.