The Managing Editor will overseemedia coverage on the global political economy with a focus on antitrust, regulatory capture, and subversion of competition by special interest groups. The Managing Editor will analyze and clarify news and trending academic publications in international political economies. This role has managing and editorial responsibility for content published on the Stigler Centerâ™s blog, ProMarket. Additionally, this position will supervise the work of the ProMarket Writer/Editor and assist and attend at all major Stigler Center events including creating and endorsing the online promotional content across all social mediachannel.
1) Full editorial and managing responsibility for content published on the blog.
2) Commit to the Stigler Centerâ™s mission of understanding the interaction between the economy and the state through research, education, and outreach; explain the news and the academic research in a way that elucidates topics to the non-expert while still deepening the understanding of the expert.
3) Supervise work of Writer/Editor.
4) Work closely with the blog Writer/Editor, assign writing tasks, guidance, and editing of posts.
5) Prepare recurring editorial plan of all content; tweak it during the months according to current events and news.
6) Coordinate with the editorial board on the topics to promote, the relevant Stigler-related academic papers, stories, and interviews for the blog.
7) Brainstorm and produce engaging, best in class posts and drive engagement.
8) Work across all social media channels.
9) Coordinate with the ProMarket Writer/Editor in managing the social media accounts for the center.
10) Encourage academics to write for the blog and assist them if needed in preparing their posts.
11) Work with the Stigler Centerâ™s Research Professionals to improve the graphics of the blog.
12) Provide appropriate coverage of all Stigler events, talks, working papers, and conferences.
13) Enhance and manage PR and Media relationships.
14) Coordinate themes and promote content of Capitalisnâ™t, the podcast of the Stigler Center.
15) Assist with the writing and editing of content related to Stigler Centerâ™s activities (e.g., Annual Reports, Project Proposals, marketing material for events and conferences, etc.).
1) Top-notch organizational and communication skills.
2) Solid knowledge of website analytics tolls and experience in setting up and optimizing Google AdWords campaigns.
3) Write clear, accurate, engaging headlines with SEO best practices.
4) Portfolio demonstrating experience with a variety of writing styles and mediums, including profiles, interviews, web copy, emails, fact sheets, PowerPoint presentations, etc..
5) Excellent communication skills.
6) Collaborative and flexible.
7) Knowledge of one or more foreign languages.
8) Multi-task, work independently, and produce a high volume of work under tight deadlines.
9) Work effectively and collaborate in a team environment, both from a creative and executional standpoint.
10) Knowledge of MS Office including Word and PowerPoint.
11) Knowledge of Adobe Suite.
1) Bachelorâ™s degree in journalism, economics or political science.
2) Masterâ™s degree.
1) At least seven years of experience in economic journalism and editing.
2) International journalism.
3) Multiple media â“ print, audio, video, and interactive.
4) Success in conducting high-level interviews with limited preparation time, and in a friendly, professional manner.
5) Research and reporting across the globe.
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
2) Cover letter
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application.
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via the Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
Internal Number: JR08547
About University of Chicago (UC)
One of the world's premier academic and research institutions, the University of Chicago has driven new ways of thinking since our 1890 founding. Today, UChicago is an intellectual destination that draws inspired scholars to our Hyde Park and international campuses, keeping UChicago at the nexus of ideas that challenge and change the world.