The Deputy Director of Communications will eagerly and proactively enhance and expand communication strategies across all available spectrums for public health in California. This high-level communications strategist will be aggressively elevating the messaging and branding of CDPH. The Ideal Candidate:
Proactively crafting story angles and pitching to national and international media. This position supports campaign launches, coordinates media requests, and supports speaking engagements and events.
Mapping out overall media strategy, both short and long-term, for the Department. Proactively establishing, cultivating, and maintaining relationships with the media to identify and execute media strategy
Coordinating the Director’s public appearances and media interviews, including planning, execution, and transportation for these events.
Reviewing and approving compelling content, including press releases, op-eds, statements, blogs, and case studies tailored to specific audiences and channels. Overseeing the production of all external communications, including periodic updates, marketing collateral, and annual reports.
Serving as the liaison with other state and federal agencies and departments in the media execution of all public health advisories and recalls as well as other areas that involve similar cooperation. The state of California
The ideal candidate for this position will eagerly and proactively “lean in” to the vast array of opportunities to enhance and expand communication strategies across all available spectrums for public health in California. The top candidate for this vital position will be known for being strategic, forward-thinking, entrepreneurial, and creative in delivering solutions within short time frames and stringent deadlines.
• Experience managing and directing internal and external communications for a multifaceted organization.
• Experience developing, coordinating and executing a strategic communications plan, including short and long term goals, in alignment with the organization’s mission and vision, and utilizing cutting edge communications technology.
• Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with the public, stakeholders, and media.
• Ability to work under pressure and respond timely and appropriately to emergent media inquiries.
• Experience developing and managing media and branding campaigns.
• Ability to serve as the key spokesperson for the Department.
• Individuals with a verifiable track record of success in the private sector or with a large, complex non-profit organization are also encouraged to apply in addition to those individuals in a more typical governmental agency.
How to Apply: To be considered for this unique opportunity, please visit the posting at https://jobs.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Jobs/JobPosting.aspx?JobControlId=204817
Internal Number: JC-204817
About California Department of Public Health
The California Department of Public Health (CDPH), a nationally accredited public health department, works to protect the public’s health in the Golden State and helps shape positive health outcomes for individuals, families, and communities. The Department is comprised of over 200 programs and 4,000 staff, who seek to improve the health and well-being of all Californians. The strategic direction of CDPH is guided by understanding the diverse populations served and, at the same time, valuing diversity in the workforce to capture a broad array of ideas and perspectives from all sources. The workforce is dedicated to public service and passionate about public health work and the people and communities we serve and protect.