1) Assume responsibility for accuracy, consistency, grammar, punctuation, usage, spelling, and style of all University of Chicago Magazine and Core copy (print issues, correspondence, reader surveys, solicitations, etc.), UChicago Short List, and other newsletters and materials produced by ARD (Alumni Relations and Development)Communications.
2) Fact-check the University of Chicago Magazine, the College magazine the Core, and other publications as needed against appropriate background materials such as writersâ™ notes, interview recordings and transcripts, books, online references, and the alumni database.
3) Review a wide variety of ARD Communications projects including, but not limited to, brochures, newsletters, fundraising appeals, web pages, emails, invitations, programs, advertisements, stewardship reports, and proposals for grammar, usage, accuracy, consistency, and style.
4) Ensure consistency of style and usage across materials and platforms.
5) Follow and assist with maintaining the ARD Communications style guide.
6) Stay current with changes in The Chicago Manual of Style and AP style.
7) Assist the editors of the University of Chicago Magazine with future story ideas, planning, and print and online production.
8) Assist editorial team in project research including, but not limited to, archival or online research.
9) Seek opportunities for professional development that will enhance job performance, including building networks within the University and with colleagues at peer institutions.
1) Communicate Effectively & With Influence
2)Exhibit Resilience & Optimize Resources
3) Display Emotional Intelligence
4) Demonstrate University Stewardship & Serve as a Brand Ambassador
5) Foster Partnership & Collaboration
6) Demonstrated skill and knowledge of, or ability to learn quickly, the internal workings of the University as well as the technology tools available to the Office of Alumni Relations and Development, including Griffin (the University's Donor Relationship Management System), Microsoft Windows computer environment, Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.
7) Willingness and ability to travel to campus and/or non-campus locations for University business.
8) Willingness and ability to work evenings and weekends.
1) Standard office environment.
2) Willingness and ability to travel to campus and/or non-campus locations for University business.
3) Willingness and ability to work evenings and weekends.
1) Self-motivation and the ability to take initiative.
2) Ability to prioritize multiple projects and independently follow through with detail.
1) A minimum of two years of relevant professional writing, editing, or similar professional work experience.
2) A minimum of one year of proofreading experience.
3) A minimum of one year of fact-checking experience.
1) Resume 2) Cover Letter (optional)
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application.
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via the Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
Internal Number: JR08034
About University of Chicago (UC)
One of the world's premier academic and research institutions, the University of Chicago has driven new ways of thinking since our 1890 founding. Today, UChicago is an intellectual destination that draws inspired scholars to our Hyde Park and international campuses, keeping UChicago at the nexus of ideas that challenge and change the world.