A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. In addition to a cover letter, please submit a writing sample no longer than two pages as the final page of your resume.
The Department of Anesthesiology at the University of Michigan stands as one of the foremost departments of anesthesiology in the world. Our 155-plus faculty comprise clinical, educational and academic units which altogether provide anesthesia care in four hospitals, four surgery centers, four critical care units (with over 65 beds), seven pain clinics, and various research laboratories. Our research program spans the gamut from basic sciences of theoretical modeling of consciousness through preclinical, translational, clinical and observational research. As the number one NIH funded anesthesiology department in the country, we are home to the Center for Consciousness Research as well as the Multicenter Perioperative Outcomes Group (MPOG), the world-wide collaborative on perioperative outcomes research. We provide outstanding subspecialty clinical care to approximately 100,000 patients per year.
The Anesthesiology Communications Manager will develop and maintain internal and external communications channels, provide editorial direction, and write content for various delivery methods. Communications tactics include presentations, targeted email, printed documents, multi-media, social media and web site, as well as public and media relations undertaken in collaboration with the UM and Michigan Medicine PR and Marketing teams. The Communications Manager evaluates feedback on communications and makes improvements. Employees in this role analyze, compare and evaluate various courses of action and have the authority to make independent decisions on matters of significance, free from immediate direction, within the scope of their responsibilities.
• Under supervision of Anesthesiology leadership and in collaboration with UM and UMHS communications support teams, develop specific and strategic plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish internal and external communication goals through public and media relations, social media engagement, digital, print, and multi-media communications.
• Identify, develop, implement, and assess communication methods and tools to position Anesthesiology with key audiences including University leadership, government, academia, the media, donors and the public.
• Create and disseminate key messages across a variety of internal and external print and electronic media communication platforms to support Anesthesiology’s vision and build brand awareness.
• Work cross-functionally and proactively with diverse internal audiences, serving as a key communications resource for Anesthesiology members and partners on an ongoing basis.
• Under supervision of Anesthesiology leadership, develop standards, systems and best practices for content creation, distribution, maintenance, content retrieval and content repurposing, including real-time information dissemination.
• Create an editorial calendar and manage an initial overhaul and ongoing update of Anesthesiology’s internal and external web presence ensuring timely dissemination of news and regular updates to deliver fresh and useful information.
• Write and edit copy, as well as identify appropriate photographic, graphic, and video materials for Anesthesia’s e-newsletter and other internal communications channels including management of digital sign content.
• Collaborate with communications colleagues throughout the University to ensure a coordinated approach to communications that maximizes synergies and enhances Anesthesiology’s effectiveness.
Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, or related field
Minimum five years of experience in a professional communications position
Demonstrated superior written and verbal communications skills and ability to adapt writing and communication efforts for a wide variety of audiences; top-notch interpersonal communications and relationship-building skills, team spirit, and drive
Aptitude for understanding complex issues and ability to translate and simplify them for key audiences
Ability to organize, set priorities, and manage multiple projects simultaneously under tight deadlines; ability to manage multiple and competing priorities in a dynamic environment.
Proficiency working with a wide range of colleagues to generate story ideas and press coverage
Evidence of creative spark and initiative, accountability, discipline, and integrity
Broad experience and understanding of health care and, preferably, health services research
Demonstrated proficiency in word processing, image processing, content management system, and social media tools
• Master’s degree in communications, journalism, or related field
• Experience working within complex healthcare or academic settings
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Internal Number: 182986
About University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
A great university is made so by its faculty and staff, and Michigan is recognized as one of the best universities to work for in the country. The Michigan culture is known for engaging faculty and staff in all facets of the university to create a workplace that is vibrant and stimulating.For two consecutive years, the Chronicle of Higher Education has placed U-M in its "Great Colleges to Work For" survey. In particular, the university earns high marks for strong relations between faculty and administrators, a collaborative system of governance, strong pay and benefits, and a healthy work/life balance.