Organization Description: Founded in 1951, the Mankato Symphony Orchestra (MSO) serves the Greater Mankato area and surrounding communities in southern Minnesota. Mankato is a growing and vibrant community with an active arts scene. It is home to the campus of Minnesota State University Mankato and is the regional center of south-central Minnesota.
Overview: The Orchestra seeks a Music Director beginning in its 2021-22 season for an initial one-year term, renewable in following seasons. For this position, the Orchestra is seeking a visionary artistic partner who, under the direction of the board of directors, will collaborate with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, Musicians of the Orchestra, and other local stakeholders to continue to grow the Orchestra artistically and financially. The Music Director will be responsible to plan, prepare and conduct the Orchestra’s Symphonic Concert Series. Additionally, the Music Director will be the public face of the Orchestra and will assist with public relations, marketing, and development. The position reports to the Board of Directors through the Board President.
3-5 years of experience leading a collegiate or professional ensemble; or comparable experience
Proven fund development and donor development skills
Strong interpersonal skills
Ability to effectively communicate with community partners, musicians, board members, and other stakeholders
Ability to create, foster, and maintain a positive musical environment
Proven ability to collaborate with professional staff, musicians, and board of directors
Background in orchestral music performance, education, or administration
An advanced degree in conducting or a related field
Public relations and marketing experience
Music and Related Services:
- Plan the music and programming for the MSO Symphonic Series season in consultation with the Board of Directors and executive director of MSO. All programming is subject to budgetary and timing requirements imposed by the Board of Directors.
- Prepare, provide, and conduct three to five (3-5) Symphonic Series Concerts. Additionally, the Music Director may be asked to conduct additional concerts as agreed.
- Prepare an annual rehearsal schedule prior to the season and subject to timing requirement that may be imposed by the Board of Directors.
- Conduct all rehearsals as necessary, required, or desirable for the adequate and professional preparation of all Symphonic Concerts and other concerts as agreed.
- In consultation with the MSO Board of Directors and Staff, Develop, establish, and consistently apply an audition procedure for MSO.
- Prepare, perform, and conduct auditions for all musicians of MSO and select principal players for each section of MSO.
- Select guest soloists and ensembles as required for each and every concert subject to budgetary requirements.
- Define and develop high artistic goals for MSO in cooperation with MSO’s board of directors, executive director, musicians, and any other staffs.
- Lead MSO in steady progress toward attaining audience attendance, financial, and musical goals.
Administrative and Promotional Services:
- Attend meetings of the Board of Directors including, but not limited to, attending meetings by telephone.
- Provide written and verbal reports to the board of directors at their monthly meetings. Collaborate with the Board of Directors of MSO concerning the development and adoption of its budget and business plans.
- Work with the Executive Director, Marketing Committee, and other staff to create social media and marketing content.
- Participate in promotions, interviews, and appearances in local media including but not limited television, radio, and local newspapers.
- Actively participate in the execution of the Donor Development Plan.
To Apply: email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org Applications accepted until January 15, 2020.
About Mankato Symphony Orchestra
Organization Description: Founded in 1951, the Mankato Symphony Orchestra serves the Greater Mankato metropolitan area and surrounding communities in southern Minnesota. Kenneth Freed has served as Music Director since 2006 and under his direction, the Orchestra has grown artistically and moved to the brand new Verizon Hall in downtown Mankato starting with the 2016 season. The Orchestra performs 6 symphonic concerts, a Fourth of July concert, children’s programming, and sponsors a chamber music concert series. Recently, the orchestra has partnered with the City of Mankato to put on a rock show with the full orchestra. Mankato is a growing and vibrant community with an active arts scene. It is home to the campus Minnesota State University and is the regional center of south central Minnesota.