The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs in the College of Nursing is responsible to the Dean and provides creative leadership in the promotion of excellence in undergraduate and graduate nursing education. The role encompasses oversight of and accountability for academic affairs, directing faculty with respect to the nature of nursing and the structure of educational programs and is ultimately accountable for the quality and currency of nursing curricula. The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs will provide impetus, direction and support to faculty as they design and implement educational programs that meet the needs of a changing society and health care system. This is a full-time, tenured (twelve-month) faculty position.
• Ensures overall integrity/quality in the delivery of academic programming within the College of Nursing.
• Establishes procedures and programs that demonstrate a commitment to an inclusive environment that attracts and retains a diverse workforce and nurtures a culture where every employee feels valued, is able to function at his/her best and is challenged to maintain the necessary robust skill set required to meet the growing and changing needs of the college.
• Oversees evaluation of academic programs using benchmarking data to measure academic performance against best practices, with support from the leaders of undergraduate programs and graduate programs.
• Ensures appropriate accreditation and approval standards are met and communicates with all relevant bureaus and accreditation agencies.
• Monitors national, regional and local trends in nursing, health care and nursing education to assure competitiveness in nursing education programs offered at the College.
• Provides guidance and oversight for faculty development in academic programming based on principles of continuous improvement and knowledge of national and state academic standards and mandates.
• Provides feedback, coaching and evaluation to faculty for progression in their academic roles.
• Collaborates with the Director of Marketing and Communications to lead public relations efforts related to College of Nursing academic programs.
• Evaluates the needs of the College for the delivery of quality academic programming and secures appropriate resources to meet those needs in collaboration with the Dean and Associate Deans for Research and Support Services.
• Collaborates with Search Committees to recruit, hire and retain faculty consistent with the strategic needs of the College.
• Coordinates teaching assignments of faculty across all academic programs.
• Collaborates with the College Advisory Council (CAC), Associate Deans, and the Program Directors in conducting annual performance reviews of faculty.
• Effectively guides the utilization of resources and directs the budgets that support the academic programming of the College.
• Creates a climate supportive of the development of training to support educational innovation.
• Participates in planning strategic initiatives to achieve the College’s academic mission in collaboration with collegiate faculty.
• Facilitates shared governance among academic program leaders to assure ongoing improvement and maintenance of high-quality academic programs.
• Serves as official liaison between the College of Nursing and offices of the University on issues of academic policy and programming as assigned by the Dean; represents the College at University level for Academic Associate Deans.
• Represents the College to the broader community, including regulatory and accreditation bodies, on issues related to nursing education; represent the College of Nursing at state, regional, national, international professional meetings, and legislative activities related to nursing education.
• Recognizes critical role of scholarship in both knowledge dissemination and generation in shaping academic programs.
About the Area:
Like many college towns, East Lansing, MI, offers a mix of small-town charm and big city amenities. Arts, culture, restaurants, outdoor recreation and some of the state’s leading employers are all factors in attracting and retaining families and talent. These diverse and abundant opportunities attract multicultural professionals, students, seniors and families to East Lansing and helped land the city on the Livability.com List of the Top 100 Best Places to Live.
Homes in a wide variety of price ranges are weaved into and throughout the campus, creating a community that welcomes both young families and retiring alumni. East Lansing also boasts one of the highest-ranked school districts in the state. The constant influx of students, as well as visitors to the region for MSU attractions and athletics, provides a constant stream of customers for area businesses, and many MSU graduates remain in East Lansing, creating a deep well of talent for the numerous corporate and business organizations that call this area home.
Another attractive feature of the community is its walkability. A boardwalk-style river trail that runs from the MSU campus through the city all the way downtown to the state capitol building making it easy to get around town.
Doctorate -in Nursng or related field
In addition to a PhD in Nursing or related field, the selected candidate must have a Master’s in Nursing; five years progressive leadership experience in academic operations and undergraduate/graduate teaching; demonstrated experience in bachelor and graduate degree nursing academic administration; demonstrated experience to motivate faculty and lead teams in a dynamic environment; demonstrated experience to manage complex interaction of academic programming needs and fiscal resources; record of functioning as an effective collaborator; demonstrated experience with and/or commitment to diversity in the academic environment and must have an unrestricted RN license in the State of Michigan (or eligible).
Inquiries, referrals and nominations are treated confidentially and can be sent to: Jennifer Muller, Academic Career & Executive Search at Jennifer@ACESrch.com or call 860-740-2600.
Review of Applications Begins On
The College of Nursing is committed to the land grant philosophy and our relationship with the community. We are busy working to achieve our strategic priorities in the areas of:
• Teaching • Research • Practice • Community Outreach
Across all of these priority areas we seek to increase appreciation for diversity and incorporate the value of inclusion into our College.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Internal Number: 618414
About Michigan State University
Spartans work every day to advance the common good in uncommon ways.Together, we tackle some of the world?s toughest problems to find solutions that make life better?from alternative energy to better food safety to breakthrough medical and environmental applications achieved through rare isotope research.We teach. We explore and we discover. We collaborate and lead. We innovate, inspire, and empower. We achieve our potential and create circumstances that help our students and others achieve theirs.We're good at it, and we've been at it for more than 150 years.The nation?s pioneer land-grant university, MSU began as a bold experiment that democratized higher education and helped bring science and innovation into everyday life. The revolutionary concept became a model for the nation.Today, MSU is one of the top research universities in the world?on one of the biggest, greenest campuses in the nation. Home to nationally ranked and recognized academic, residential college, and service-learning programs, we?re a diverse community of dedicated students and scholars, athletes and artists, scientists and leaders.In ways both practical and profound, we work to create a stronger, more sustainable, and more hopeful future for all.