Primary Purpose: Reporting to the Internal Communications Director, the Senior Writer and Editor assists with the development and implementation of effective communication strategies and tactics to inform the university community of news, events, activities and updates on strategic initiatives. Under general supervision and direction, develops strategies for the creation of compelling digital and print content for a wide variety of audiences and channels. Plans, writes, edits, and manages content consistent with university messaging, voice and style.
Essential Functions: 1. Under direction of the internal communications director, contributes to the modernization of Pacifics internal communications program and digital strategy to help elevate its storytelling and positively impact its brand.
2. Contributes to development and implementation of communications strategies and tactics in support of departmental and university goals. Conducts research on internal and external initiatives, including peer evaluations, gathering market data and intelligence, and identifying best practices.
3. Creates and adapts new and existing content for the universitys internal and external communications, including the universitys internal and external websites, weekly employee e-newsletter and events calendar.
4. Plays integral role in development of university editorial style standards, staying abreast of industry best practices and editorial style guide updates. Helps train employees throughout the university on editorial style and usage.
5. Supports internal communications director in content strategy and development for executive communications and reputational issues/crises.
6. Proofreads and edits content for accuracy, clarity, consistency, grammar, style guidelines and strategic messaging.
7. Measures the effectiveness of communications efforts to inform communications strategies.
8. Identifies needs for and collaborates with web and creative teams in collection of artwork, photos, and multimedia to support communications efforts.
9. Provides oversight or management of special communications projects.
10. Assists in creation and provision of training for university calendar and other communications channels.
11. Values diversity and inclusion in day-to-day interactions and in creative recommendations and decision-making.
12. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Bachelors degree in communications, journalism or other related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience in planning, writing, editing and managing and measuring content for digital and print communication projects.
Experience using interpersonal, communication and active listening skills to build and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of internal and external constituencies.
Experience with various types of marketing and communications channels including social media, electronic newsletters, websites, etc.
Experience using computer software Windows, Microsoft Word/Outlook/Excel/PowerPoint.
Experience leveraging digital strategy to tell brand stories.
Experience using Microsoft SharePoint and working with and within a CMS.
Experience using project management and collaboration software, such as Asana or Trello.
Familiar with content management systems and project management software.
Familiar with email marketing software, such as Constant Contact or MailChimp.
Familiar with creative content platforms such as Adobe Spark.
Familiar with social media platforms and tools.
Excellent storytelling skills.
Outstanding proofreading and editing skills.
Expertise in communications best practices, including use of photos, video, social media and text to communicate effectively.
Strong critical thinking, analytical and problem-solving skills.
Self-motivated, proactive and works well with minimal direction.
Strong interpersonal skills, professional demeanor and an exceptional level of organization and attention to detail.
Ability to juggle many projects simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment.
Positive attitude, proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promoting and enhance diversity and inclusion.
Maintain a positive helping disposition and a stellar work ethic.
Excellent command of the English language, including grammar, writing, presentation and verbal communications.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed primarily in and standard office environment, with exposure to normal temperatures and light. May require extended periods of sitting with repetitive hand/wrist motion while using computer and phone. Occasional standing, walking. Infrequent climbing stairs, walking across campus, bending, stooping, kneeling or reaching. May be requested to lift up to 25 lbs.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel: Work performed during standard business hours.
Valid drivers license required. Incumbent must also be able to meet the Universitys fleet rules and be eligible to drive for University business. The University and its insurance carrier reserves the right to exclude applicants based on their driving record.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience, non-exempt
Background Check Statement: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must pass a criminal background check.
Drawing on its rich legacy as the oldest chartered university in California, Pacific is a student-focused, comprehensive educational institution that produces outstanding graduates prepared for personal and professional success. Our student body thrives in Pacific's small classes and dynamic cultural environment, while our distinguished alumni are transforming their communities every day.
University of the Pacific is a nationally ranked university with a long tradition of dedicated teaching, small class sizes, practical experience and vibrant residential life. The breathtaking main campus in Stockton, California is home to seven schools and colleges, with more than 80 majors and programs of study. Pacific also has the McGeorge School of Law in Sacramento and the Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry in San Francisco. Total university enrollment is nearly 7,000, with 3,757 undergraduates in an average class size of 19 and a student/faculty ratio of 14:1. Eighty-seven percent of students come from California, with 35 other states and 25 foreign countries also represented.