University of South Carolina Upstate Spartanburg, SC
The Associate Director of Sports Communications, who reports to the Director of Athletics, will serve to expand the overall awareness of the University, athletics department, student-athletes, and coaches to the faculty/staff on-campus and in the greater community as well as support the public relations value for the university's mission and vision. This position will serve as the primary Communications contact for five to ten assigned sports.
- Assist with the management of the marketing strategy for the athletic department and the assigned sports. This includes, but is not limited to, external branding initiatives, promotions strategies, and digital content.
- Manage various administrative duties within the Communications Office and the overall athletics department.
- Independently write and produce releases, including game notes and game releases, feature content, and other unique coverage for the Upstate Athletics website and for distribution to media outlets.
- Assist in the maintenance of the Athletics website, in particular for the assigned sports and other various projects. This includes but is not limited to independently determining the content that is written and posted to the athletics website; writing biographical sketches of the coaches and student-athletes, and other pertinent information, including in-depth feature stories.
- Maintain season and historical statistics for assigned sports; supervise statistical crews and other event support personnel for home games.
- Work with the video coordinator to set up video shoots, produce web video content, and coordinate team pictures.
- Assess and determine the need for historical research for use in the production of original content and for use in the Communications office.
- Design and produce social media content for all assigned sports and the athletic department.
- Other duties as assigned by the Athletic Director.
Advertised Minimum Qualifications :
Bachelor's degree and a minimum of two years related experience in sports information, media relations or athletic communications is required. Frequent travel with sports teams is required. Long hours, nights and weekends are expected. Good driving record, valid driver's license, and successful background check are required. Experience as a department head is preferred.
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Internal Number: 67189
About The University of South Carolina
The University of South Carolina System is comprised of the state’s flagship university in Columbia (founded in 1801 and currently one of the top 50 “Best Colleges” according to U.S. News and World Report), three regional comprehensive universities (USC Aiken, USC Beaufort and USC Upstate), and Palmetto College consisting of four two-year campuses (USC Lancaster, USC Salkehatchie, USC Sumter, USC Union and Fort Jackson/Extended University). Together, the USC System institutions offer more than 450 degree programs on campus and online and are uniquely positioned to meet the state’s educational, cultural, health and research needs. The System employs nearly 14,000 people who work daily to improve the lives of students, fellow South Carolinians and the world. Our diverse engaged faculty and staff enjoy a dynamic and intellectually stimulating work environment.