The mission of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Washington is to spread the light of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the world. In the faithful pursuit of this mission, the Archdiocese is seeking a Director of the Annual Appeal. The Annual Appeal is the largest fundraising program of the Archdiocese of Washington that provides significant funds for the Church’s mission and ministries throughout the year. Reporting to the Executive Director of Development, the Director of the Annual Appeal is responsible for leading the Annual Appeal strategic planning and coordinating the Appeal’s outreach and stewardship activities. This position includes responsibility for coordinating with pastors and parish teams; the Appeal’s archdiocesan direct mail, digital, telemarketing and major gift solicitation; and the Appeal’s data management and stewardship of donors. Further, the Director of the Annual Appeal coordinates with internal and external partners to ensure all aspects of the Appeal are well synchronized and effectively executed.
• Manages the entire Appeal campaign and donor engagement process from data management, record synchronization and training with parish teams to communications, vendor services (mailings, fulfillment, gift processing, and digital outreach and telemarketing), donor cultivation, recognition, and stewardship.
• Manages an Annual Appeal staff of three and works closely with the Office of Development’s director-level team members, Moderator of the Curia, Office of Communications, Office of Events and Office of Finance.
• Provides strategic guidance and effective planning to acquire new donors, enhance retention and recapture lapsed donors.
• In conjunction with the Office of Communications, designs and submits campaign collateral material for approval to ensure effective Appeal branding and messaging for print, online, email and social media content.
• Meets with Pastors and parish leaders at three annual meetings to prepare for the Appeal. Provides pastors and parish teams with resources and guidelines on essential tasks they will implement to help achieve the parish’s Annual Appeal goal.
• Oversees tracking, analysis and reporting progress on a weekly basis to the Executive Director of Development and as requested by the Moderator of the Curia.
• With the Donor Relations Officer for the Annual Appeal, the Director of the Annual Appeal supervises the process for contacting donors regarding declined and expired credit cards, as well as pledge delinquencies.
• Spends time cultivating and stewarding donor relations, requiring travel regionally when necessary.
• Plans donor stewardship activities, including Giving Society recognition mailings and events, as well as Advent and Lenten companion mailings.
• Practicing Catholic who supports the teachings of the Catholic Church.
• Bachelor’s Degree in fundraising, nonprofit management, communications, business administration, finance, or related field. Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) credential and/or professional fundraising certifications/designations a plus. Spanish language written and verbal fluency a plus.
• A minimum of eight years professional and successful management of annual fund campaigns utilizing an integrated marketing channel approach, preferably within an arch/diocese or a chapter-based not-for-profit environment.
• A minimum of four years of management experience in fundraising programs that include management of development and administrative staff.
• Demonstrated understanding and success in managing direct mail, digital and telemarketing campaigns.
• Ability to think strategically in all phases of the Appeal, from planning to execution so that the Appeal can improve over time and keep pace with changes in donors and the local environment.
• Ability to collaborate with other archdiocesan staff, pastors and parish teams to help align donor interest with the mission of the Archdiocese.
• Effective team player with strong interpersonal, communication and customer service skills.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks under time sensitive deadlines.
• Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information.
• Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
• Knowledge and proficiency in the Amergent Portfolio relational database or a comparable nonprofit CRM system.
Internal Number: 2
About Catholic Recruiter Associates
Catholic Recruiter Associates is a retained executive search firm based in Ridgefield, CT, established in 1988. Information about the firm can be found on our website at www.catholicrecruiter.com. We have conducted extensive high level searches for senior executives in publishing, not for profit and other industries, placing senior HR, development, finance, education and clinical executives in our Catholic and other not for profit clients. Our firm today is totally dedicated in bringing lay talent to the varied missions of the Catholic Church. Our mission is finding highly qualified executives who thrive in a Catholic culture.