Reporting to the Associate Director, the Assistant Director assists the MBA admissions program in the planning, development, and implementation of diversity recruitment initiatives, focusing on enrolling a high-quality, diverse student body that enhances the reputation of Columbia Business School.
1. Serves as a member of the Admission Committee. Evaluates and recommends applicants. Duties may include reading and evaluating applications and conducting interviews.
2. Promotes and markets the MBA programs. Gains a thorough understanding of our MBA and EMBA programs. Coordinates and delivers on and off-campus presentations, hosts receptions, and participates in other general recruitment activities as determined by their supervisor.
3. Coordinates diversity recruitment and yield initiatives. Plans and executes recruitment events for diverse populations including, but not limited to, under-represented minorities, LGBTQ, and military prospective students. Participates in partnerships with third-party diversity admissions organizations and partner schools and represents Columbia Business School at off-campus diversity recruitment events.
4. Conducts individual or small group meetings with candidates and ensures they have the support and encouragement needed to apply.
5. Cultivates and maintains relationships with current students, alumni, faculty, and administrators and solicits their participation in said events.
6. Coordinates communications with Business School departments (Publications, Public Relations, and Computing and Information Services) related to advertising, publications, website, content management, PowerPoint presentations, etc.
7. Performs other relevant duties as needed and assigned.
Bachelor's degree and/or its equivalent degree required. A minimum of 2-4 years related experience required.
Excellent presentation, interpersonal, written and oral communication and computer skills required (proficiency with MS Office Suite). Ability to travel (domestic and international) and work evenings and weekends required. Candidate must possess strong skills in diplomacy, tact, and discretion. The ability to work independently in a dynamic environment with changing priorities and multiple responsibilities is an asset.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.
Internal Number: 500774
About Columbia University
Columbia University is one of the world's most important centers of research and at the same time a distinctive and distinguished learning environment for undergraduates and graduate students in many scholarly and professional fields. The University recognizes the importance of its location in New York City and seeks to link its research and teaching to the vast resources of a great metropolis. It seeks to attract a diverse and international faculty and student body, to support research and teaching on global issues, and to create academic relationships with many countries and regions. It expects all areas of the university to advance knowledge and learning at the highest level and to convey the products of its efforts to the world.