A cover letter, resume and three editing or writing samples are required for consideration for this position. The cover letter should summarize why you believe you are the right person for this job, your strengths and outline skills and experience that directly relate to the responsibilities of this job. Cover letter, resume and work samples should be uploaded as one document to this site.
Why Join the Michigan Medicine Department of Communications?
This is an opportunity to work with the #5-ranked health systems in the nation, according to U.S. News and World report, helping set the standard for social communications in the health care industry. We are looking for a highly-skilled editor/producer to oversee editorial management and content editing of our award-winning healthcare blogs, www.michiganhealthlab.org and www.michiganhealthblog.org. The blog is a main component of the Department of Communication’s content marketing and brand building efforts to promote Michigan Medicine’s clinical care, research, and innovative educational approaches to the world.
In this position, you will focus on how social media continues to reshape marketing, promotion, and customer engagement. It offers a great opportunity to run an online publication that has reached more than 4 million page views annually and has a significant social media following.
We are seeking an individual with a background in healthcare communication, and a keen sense of stories that will grab attention in a crowded social landscape. It is essential that you are a regular consumer of the latest online trends and an early adopter of creative platforms and features. We need someone who shares the same passion of not only producing dynamic content but also assessing its value based on Michigan Medicine goals and its return on investment. It is also important to have prior experience evaluating performance indicators, analyzing data and building explainable reports and next steps for colleagues and leadership.
What Perks and Benefits Can You Look Forward to?
2:1 match on retirement savings
Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage starting on day one of employment
Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) and paid holidays
– You will set strategy for blog content, including prioritizing service line areas, based on reputation/brand strategy and metrics.
– Maintain planning calendar for blog content.
– Analyze effectiveness of stories, with feedback from analytics team.
– Produce weekly and monthly reports with highlights using data.
– Produce annual report measuring effectiveness.
– Monitor paid social activity, with assistance of social/marketing team.
– You will be the primary editor and coordinator of the blogs of the Michigan Medicine Department of Communication. Your main responsibility will be developing story content and quality on www.michiganhealthlab.org and www.michiganhealthblog.org
– Edit first drafts of all copy to be posted to the blogs.
– Write headlines that are optimized for search.
– Work with writing teams to brainstorm ideas for the blogs.
– Facilitate interactions with writers and sources for approvals.
– Assign stories to freelance writers.
– Work with graphic artist to coordinate image selection, photography and/or illustrations to accompany blog articles
– Write and uploads content for weekly digest emails to subscribers.
– Lead weekly meeting with content creators.
– Provide functional supervision to blog writer, including monitoring workload and making assignments
– As Editor, you will have the authority to make independent decisions on matters of significance, free from immediate direction, within the scope of responsibilities.
– You will troubleshoot backend or user interface problems on blog with web team and IT support
– Posts blogs to site
– Optimizes SEO effectiveness and meta data.
– Plans for ongoing upgrades and updates; future planning in collaboration with our Department of Communication experts.
– Perform other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of the duties enumerated above
Five to eight years of combined editing, writing, content creation, digital strategy, and social media or comparable experience;
Excellent verbal and written communication skills, proficient in spelling, grammar, punctuation, and familiarity with AP style necessary;
Editor Intermediate Requirement:
Two to five years of combined editing, writing, content creation, digital strategy, and social media or comparable experience;
Undergraduate degree in journalism, communications, marketing or related field.
Real passion for social communications, innovation, branding, and promotions;
Experience working collaboratively to set goals, implement projects, and assess success;
Demonstrated success in communicating and building in the social space;
Accustomed to the strategic use of social platforms for brand awareness, reputation management, and customer service;
Feel comfortable in a multi-layered organization with complex reporting relationships
Ability to determine and execute social strategy, working closely with cross-functional team members to meet business objectives;
Experience using email marketing platforms such as MailChimp, Constant Contact, etc.
Working knowledge of and experience with search engine optimization (SEO) techniques, platforms, and best practices.
Ability to produce high-quality work on deadline and handle several projects at once;
Ability to take both direction and initiative
Skilled multi-tasker, excellent listener, and very organized
This is a full-time position. The core business hours are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Internal Number: 169431
About University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
A great university is made so by its faculty and staff, and Michigan is recognized as one of the best universities to work for in the country. The Michigan culture is known for engaging faculty and staff in all facets of the university to create a workplace that is vibrant and stimulating.For two consecutive years, the Chronicle of Higher Education has placed U-M in its "Great Colleges to Work For" survey. In particular, the university earns high marks for strong relations between faculty and administrators, a collaborative system of governance, strong pay and benefits, and a healthy work/life balance.