As an officer in the Division of University Advancement at East Carolina University, the Associate Vice Chancellor for Alumni Relations and President of the East Carolina Alumni Association is responsible for providing strategic direction for every aspect of the alumni relations program in partnership with the Alumni Association Board of Directors, with peers on the University Advancement senior management team and with alumni relations staff.
The Associate Vice Chancellor for Alumni Relations seeks to optimize the engagement of alumni and friends of East Carolina University and to ensure the long-term viability of the Alumni Association and its programs.
Develop, implement and manage strategic planning and metrics to drive programmatic and budgetary initiatives
Secure financial resources through a variety of sources to support the current and long-term financial goals and commitments of Alumni Relations and the Alumni Association.
Evaluate the effectiveness of current programs and efforts, and drive changes and enhancements to infrastructure and programs so that undertakings are relevant to their target audience
Engage as an active member of the university community and collaborate in ways that strengthen the overall university
Ensure that communications and marketing programs and initiatives promote East Carolina and the Alumni Association in ways that are compatible with the University's overall marketing efforts and help alumni become more involved with their alma mater.
Implement regional and affinity-group alumni programs to enhance the value of the university in the lives of alumni and friends and significantly increase the number of alumni engaged in these programs
Recruit and engage a strong, diverse, and proactive group of volunteer Alumni Association Board members and leaders
Collaborate with University Advancement in fund raising efforts
Recruit, hire, set goals for, evaluate, inspire, and manage a staff capable of planning and implementing a best practices alumni relations program, and provide professional development opportunities to help ensure staff members have and maintain the requisite skills to accomplish and exceed ambitious goals
Serving as an engaged leader, eliciting the input of others and inspiring them in a shared vision
Appropriately balancing roles of senior leadership, Alumni Association direction, fundraiser, friend-raiser, and spokesperson for the university
Setting high expectations for and supporting planning, improvement, assessment, and accountability to ensure excellence in Alumni Relations and the Alumni Association
Building and sustaining an experienced, institutionally-savvy team that comprises considerable content expertise and operational effectiveness
Respecting and adhering to principles of fiduciary responsibility and stewardship of resources
Building pride internally to sustain support externally; cultivating a deep understanding of the institution and using its unique character, history, and values to engage alumni, donors, students, faculty, staff, and others in a shared sense of the University's history, accomplishments, and future
Using collaborative yet decisive leadership
Managing effective affinity and corporate (local and national) relationships
The successful candidate will be a highly motivated individual with demonstrated integrity and compelling leadership in program development, the ability to interact effectively with a broad range of constituencies, a willingness to travel, excellent oral and written communication skills, strong organizational skills and the ability to mobilize and maximize volunteer alumni support.
The successful candidate will have a relevant post-Baccalaureate degree in communications, marketing, education or other related field with five years of related professional experience; for candidates demonstrating comparable professional background, will accept a Bachelor’s Degree with seven years’ experience in alumni relations, public relations, marketing or non-profit organizations, and demonstrated capabilities in interpersonal communications and presentations.
The successful candidate is expected to have:
- A demonstrated ability to successfully manage a program that is similar in scale and complexity to the alumni relations program at the University
- A high degree of comfort working with cultural diversity and an optimistic approach to work, supported by a strong work ethic and attention to detail
- A strong affinity for the institution and a capacity to be able to champion the University and its educational mission among its various constituents.
- Exceptional experience in fields such as educational advancement, not-for-profit administration, marketing, and other client-centered professions.
- A collaborative leadership style that is well suited to management in a complex university setting
- An ability to manage effectively in a complex environment comprised of multiple constituencies
- Professional maturity perspective and credibility necessary to influence senior university administrators as well as key alumni volunteers.
- Philosophically supportive of an integrated approach in advancement
- Creativity required introducing new ideas and incremental change balanced by a respect for traditions
- Intellectual curiosity and capacity to understand the full breadth of teaching, programs, and research, the ability to translate that understanding to the alumni and excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Have demonstrated verbal and written communication skills across all levels in a university setting.
To be a national model for student success, public service and regional transformation, East Carolina University uses innovative learning strategies and delivery methods to maximize access; prepares students with the knowledge, skills and values to succeed in a global, multicultural society; develops tomorrow's leaders to serve and inspire positive change; discovers new knowledge and innovations to support a thriving future for eastern North Carolina and beyond; transforms health care, promotes wellness, and reduces health disparities; and improves qualify of life through cultural enrichment, academics, the arts, and athletics. We accomplish our mission through education, research, creative activities, and service while being good stewards of the resources entrusted to us. East Carolina University delivers on the promise of opportunity. We open doors. We improve lives. We transform the present, and we discover the future. In these ways and more, we serve our community, our state, our nation and our world as together we reach toward our greatest potential. Tomorrow starts here.