The Vice President, Corporate Communications provides executive leadership for building, operationalizing and leading an integrated strategic communications program for the enterprise for all internal and external stakeholders. Manages and provides strategic direction for all media-related activities, including managing all media relationships to ensure the organization’s plans, programs and services are fairly and accurately communicated. Serves as official spokesperson as necessary. Leads, develops and manages strategic internal communications to promote employee understanding, engagement and support for the health system’s mission, vision and strategic objectives. Builds, manages and monitors internal alignment to the organization’s brand and commitment to the Geisinger patient experience. Provides executive communications and positioning strategy. Counsels executives, physicians and others on strategic messaging and communications methods to build internal and external audience engagement. Major duties and responsibilities include:
· Leads the development of strategic internal communications program and establishes communications objectives and strategies to engage and cultivate support from internal audiences, build and manage brand reputation, and achieve identified strategic business goals.
· Leads strategy and messaging for crisis communications for internal and external audiences.
· Leads, plans and directs a comprehensive, integrated and strategic public relations program designed to increase the organization’s visibility within primary and secondary markets and nationally.
· Develops and manages a strategic executive communications program to position senior executives and the organization, through speaking engagements and presentations, internal events, earned local and national media, social media and other channels.
· Effectively manages day-to-day operations of the Corporate Communications team including annual budget, vendor and other outside support relationships and resource management to ensure team has resources needed to achieve annual goals and objectives.
· Provides strategic communications support to various leadership teams to positively influence employee adherence to delivering high quality health care.
· Establishes communications systems, processes, templates and channels to support consistent, effective and efficient communications; leads development, production, deployment and management of communications content. Responsible for innovating, developing, and managing new technologies for communicating with internal and external audiences.
· Facilitates internal understanding and alignment to the brand; develops, cultivates and supports formal internal brand ambassador program.
· Provides proactive and reactive strategic communications counsel to department heads, vice presidents and senior leadership on system issues and activities.
· Develop new and creative opportunities to tell Geisinger’s story, including establishing a Geisinger News Bureau to support earned media placements, provide content to Geisinger-owned channels.
Reporting & Analytics
· Effectively uses data to inform strategy and is comfortable applying data insights to develop and evolve communications strategy. Leverage market research, business plans and operational and other market data to develop communications strategies and plans designed to support business goals.
· Establishes measurement and metrics for function and sets a cadence to share program performance data with senior leadership and key stakeholders.
Competencies & Skills:
· Ability and openness to learn
· Change Advocate
· Collaboration and teamwork
· Business acumen, conceptual thinking & creativity
· Customer centricity & results orientation
· Data Literacy & innovation
Education & Experience:
Master’s degree preferred; Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, Marketing or related field required.
A minimum of ten (10) years of corporate communications, journalism, and/or public relations management experience with a demonstrated track record of success in communications strategy, planning, program development and implementation; knowledge of the health industry preferred.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands:
Work is typically performed in an office environment. Independent travel to other sites throughout the health system and surrounding communities required.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
OUR PURPOSE & VALUES: Everything we do is about caring for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities. KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves. EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence. LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow. INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
ABOUT GEISINGER: Geisinger is a physician-led health system comprised of approximately 30,000 employees, including nearly 1,600 employed physicians, 13 hospital campuses, two research centers, and a 583,000-member health plan Geisinger is nationally recognized for innovative practices and quality care. Geisinger serves more than 3 million people in central, south-central and northeast Pennsylvania and also in southern New Jersey with the addition of National Malcolm Baldridge Award recipient AtlantiCare, A member of Geisinger. In 2017, the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine became the newest member of the Geisinger Family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and domestic partners.* Perhaps just as important, from senior management on down, we encourage an atmosphere of collaboration, cooperation and collegiality. For more information, visit www.geisinger.org, or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
** Does not qualify for J-1 waiver. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer Women and Minorities are Encouraged to Apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status.
*Domestic partner benefits not applicable at Geisinger Holy Spirit.
At Geisinger, our innovative ideas are inspired by the communities we serve – like our Fresh Food
Farmacy, a program that delivers life-saving healthy alternatives to patients with diabetes. With additional tools like our MyCode Community Health Initiative, one of the first health system genome sequencing
programs, and our new asthma app suite that we developed in partnership with AstraZeneca, it’s no wonder we’re ranked one of the Top 5 Most Innovative Healthcare Systems by Becker's Hospital Review. We continually work towards continuous improvement in a culture where everyone has a voice and firmly believe that better begins with all of us.
Founded more than 100 years ago, Geisinger serves more than three million residents throughout central, south-central and northeastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. Our physician-led system is comprised of 30,000 employees, including 1,600 employed physicians, and consists of 13 hospital campuses, the Geisinger Health Plan, Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine and two research centers.
What you do at Geisinger shapes the future of health and improves lives – for our patients, communities, and you.