| EOE Statement:|
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
This position is full-time and works approximately 37.5 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location:
This position is in the Office of Public Affairs. This position is for the Danforth Campus.
Promote the University’s reputation as a driver of business and technological research, thought leadership and innovation through proactive PR storytelling and other outreach, focused on story lines developed in various Danforth Campus schools. Primary coverage responsibilities are business & technology.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Proactively pitch and place stories through strategic, targeted outreach to national, regional, trade and local media. Identify stories and other opportunities to promote messaging in support of business and technology themes, write and produce text, multimedia and other content in support of strategic messaging points in these areas. Utilize university channels (Newsroom, Record, social media, Web) to share content with campus and community audiences.
- Identify and position thought leaders within respective areas to serve as media experts; produce content and supporting materials for use in pitches; pitch and place experts. Provide leadership, guidance and support for op-ed placement.
- Provide strategic communications counsel to schools and campus partners, identifying and facilitating opportunities for collaboration with Public Affairs.
- Monitor and report media placements; contribute to overall media monitoring, reporting and measurement strategy.
- Other duties in support of PR/media relations functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, journalism or communications
- 4-6 years’ experience in public relations, media relations and/or strategic communications, with emphasis on technology, business and entrepreneurship
- Strong communicator, skilled in building relationships
- Independent self-starter, highly motivated
- Enthusiastic learner interested in participating in vibrant academic community
- Excellent oral, written and listening communication skills
- Strong time-management and organization skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects in a deadline-driven, highly detail-oriented environment
- Knowledge of news media and ability to communicate with media representatives
- Graduate degree in business, journalism or communications
- 6-10 years’ experience in public relations, media relations and/or strategic communications, with emphasis on business, technology and entrepreneurship
- Strong track record of success in developing media pitches and placing stories that highlight innovation and entrepreneurship
- Demonstrated knowledge and personal experience in business and/or technology extremely helpful
The hiring range for this position begins at $50,895 annually.
-Retirement Savings Plan
-22 vacation days
-8 Paid Holidays
-Tuition benefits for employee, spouse and dependent children
-Free Metro Link/ Bus pass
-Free Life Insurance
-Health, Dental, Vision
-Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
-Long Term Disability Insurance
-Flex Spending Plan
Human Resources website (hr.wustl.edu)