The Communications Manager oversees and creates the executive communications strategy for ASCP’s public relations and long-form member communications efforts, with the goal of strengthening the ASCP brand by building broader and deeper engagement with key audiences including ASCP members, potential members/customers, other pathology and laboratory organizations, and the public. This senior position involves researching, interviewing, writing, and editing to prepare copy for a wide variety of long-form print and electronic communications vehicles and managing ASCP’s relationship with external media to enhance the brand and increase visibility. This individual works with the Communications team to develop and execute communications plans that are in alignment with various internal business units and teams, especially as they relate to media outreach. This individual will also create copy for other marketing and communications collateral as needed.
The Communications Manager must be creative, have exceptional writing and editing skills, especially in relation to writing long-form news and feature articles, and ability to develop strategic messages to support key business priorities and advance thought leadership for the organization. He/she must have news judgment and interviewing skills. The Communications Manager must bring an understanding of the rapidly changing public relations and communications environment, including an understanding of media outreach and monitoring. He or she must be able to meet deadlines, work on multiple assignments concurrently, and follow up on his or her own to complete assignments in a timely, effective manner. The Communications Manager must know how to tailor information for the intended audience and for the communication vehicle through which information is delivered. The Communications Manager must be able to work both independently and as part of a team to accomplish department and Society goals and objectives. This senior position requires excellent organizational skills, must have the ability to interact positively with Senior Leadership, ASCP volunteers, members, internal staff, and others and ensure alignment of executive communication with overall communication initiatives.
- Work with Communications team to develop a public relations strategy and plan/calendar encompassing media opportunities such as press releases and trade publication article placements that enhances the brand, increases visibility, and deepens relationships with key audiences.
- Work with Communications team to develop a content strategy and plan/calendar for ASCP’s long-form member communications vehicles (email newsletters, ONELab online community blogs, etc.) that enhances the brand, increases visibility, and deepens relationships with key audiences.
- Manage ASCP’s relationship with external media to enhance brand and increase visibility.
- Develop and execute communications plans that are in alignment with various internal business units and teams. Designs communication programs based on organization needs and recommends adjustments to communication strategies.
- Review content written by partner departments to ensure the content fits with ASCP’s style and supports ASCP’s communications, marketing, and branding objectives.
- Research subjects, conduct interviews with Senior Leadership, high-profile members, and others, write and edit press releases; articles for trade publications; and news and feature stories for long-form member communications vehicles such as ASCP’s general member email newsletter, policy email newsletter, website, and ONELab online community blogs.
- Develop, write and edit speeches, presentations, scripts, and other materials as needed.
- Distill scientific or other technical information into clear and understandable content for communications and marketing collateral.
- Represent the Communications departments on interdepartmental initiatives.
- Consult with, train, coach, and support partner departments to enable them to be effective in public relations/communications and achieve their goals.
- Prepare monthly reports on public relations/communications efforts and impact and disseminate internally to staff. Analyze content and translate anecdotal or qualitative data into recommendations and plans for revising content/media outreach efforts.
- Evaluate and enhance ASCP’s long-form member communications strategy in order to enhance brand and engage members, and evaluate and enhance ASCP’s public relations strategy in order to enhance brand and increase external visibility.