Position: Human Resources Coordinator
Job Level: 2
Reports to: Human Resources Director (interim)
Status: Full-time, Non-Exempt
Lyric Opera is looking to hire a Human Resources Coordinator to join our Human Resources Department. The Human Resources Coordinator assists with a variety of processes and programs across the employee lifecycle including recruitment and onboarding, employee data entry and maintenance, and employee communications and engagement. This is an entry-level Human Resources role, requiring minimal employment experience; however, a strong interest and/or academic grounding in human resources are highly preferred.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with processing all pre-employment Human Resources information including job postings, advertising, incoming resumes and applications, and other Human Resources duties. Assist throughout the hiring process and schedule interviews as necessary. Handle all job inquiries from applicants. Prepare and mail response letters to candidates who were interviewed, though not selected for hire. Request removal of posting from the website and notify the appropriate people of the start date of new hire. Maintain electronic files for applications and purge after the required time.
- Process pre-employment background checks and communicate promptly regarding results or any complications.
- Assist with employee onboarding: Assist with processing new hire requirements including employment eligibility (I-9), tax withholding, etc. Prepare employment offer letters. Assist with conducting first day new employee orientations and order employee business cards and name tags.
- Enter and maintain employee data in ADP. This includes partnering with business managers to ensure that the status of all employees and artists is accurate and current including, but not limited to, personal data, dates, role changes, rate changes, and terminations. Employee data maintenance is a critical activity requiring a significant time commitment before and during Lyric’s performance season.
- Assist in tracking unemployment claims.
- Maintain Lyric’s organization charts, ensuring that they are current at all times.
- Maintain the electronic job description folder including periodic updates. Partner with Marketing and Communications to ensure that the Lyric program includes accurate and current employee rosters and job titles.
- Administer Lyric’s exit survey for outgoing employees. Report results on a regular basis.
- Assist with special projects and analyses as requested. Prepare HRIS and other reports, assist in and/or compile data, performance calculations/tabulate data as directed, summarize data and perform meaningful analyses, and prepare results in a professional and well-prepared manner as requested.
- Assist the Director of Compensation and Benefits with periodic compensation and benefits activities including reporting, annual salary administration, completing census data, and annual enrollment activities.
- Assist with Lyric’s internship program including position posting, hiring and intern events.
- Assist with the semi-annual administration of the employee engagement survey including distribution and results reporting.
- Assist with regularly retrieving and documenting suggestions from the company’s two suggestion boxes.
- Assist the Director of Human Resources with various company events including all-company meetings and seasonal parties.
- Assist in monitoring Human Resources budget and manage recruiting expenses.
- Assume other responsibilities as necessary or as assigned by Human Resources management to achieve established compensation, benefits, or employee relations goals and objectives.
- Serve as a trusted advocate for employees by communicating their concerns and work with the HR management team towards resolution.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or other directly relevant field or equivalent combination of college coursework and experience required.
- Intermediate to expert computer proficiency with Word, PowerPoint, and Excel preferred.
- Experience with ADP a plus but not required.
- Excellent organizational and proofreading skills required. Eye for detail and accuracy critical.
- Effective problem-solving abilities; sound, logical decision-making skills required.
- Strong interpersonal skills and business savvy required. Must communicate with sensitivity and have a strong customer service orientation. Strong communication skills, including effective listening skills required.
- Must be able to meet critical deadlines and work effectively under pressure.
- Strong follow-up and follow through abilities required.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and manage a consistently heavy workload.
- Able to maintain strict confidentiality of highly privileged information.
- Good writing/composition skills. Ability to prepare correspondence that is accurate, grammatically correct and in proper business format.
- Ability to occasionally work evenings and attend periodic functions or performances.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other office equipment.