AFPM is the premier trade association for the refining and petrochemical industry, representing over 90 percent of our nation's fuel and petrochemical manufacturers. The association is headquartered in Washington, D.C. in the heart of the K Street corridor.
AFPM is searching for a Director in its Outreach Department. The successful candidate’s primary role will be to build relationships with key third-party organizations, stakeholders, and elected officials at all levels of government. This is a full-time exempt position reporting to the Vice President of Strategic Initiatives and will work within the Outreach team to assist in increasing the visibility of AFPM outside the Beltway.
The Director, Outreach will play a key role in assisting the Vice President, State and Local Outreach in the development, implementation and management of AFPM’s outreach strategy at the local, state and national levels to help educate elected officials, stakeholders, and consumers about the important role that the fuel and petrochemical manufacturing industries play in their communities. The successful candidate will also highlight impacts of national policies and proposed legislation at the state/local level. In addition, this person should have a firm understanding of the regulatory process and the implications of federal energy and environmental regulations at the state level.
- In close coordination with the Vice President, State and Local Outreach, work to identify and execute opportunities to educate various state-level elected officials about issues important to AFPM’s membership. This includes working with various third-party entities to leverage opportunities through conferences and other events, as well as building such opportunities from the ground up.
- Coordinate with the Vice President, State and Local Outreach, Government Relations department, and other appropriate AFPM staff to identify and prioritize issues that constitute the focus of AFPM’s state-level educational engagement.
- Assist the Vice President, State and Local Outreach in managing the day-to-day operations of the Department.
- Coordinate with AFPM’s Communications department when there are opportunities to leverage events to include proactive messaging (i.e. through blog posts, op-eds, social media activity, etc.).
- Identify and engage other relevant associations and entities with which to strategically coordinate educational efforts when appropriate.
- Represent AFPM at a variety of outside-the-Beltway conferences and events. This includes frequent direct interaction with a broad spectrum of state-level elected officials to articulate AFPM’s positions on a range of policy issues that impact the downstream sector, as well as occasional public speaking engagements.
- Manage a coalition of groups engaged in an issue-specific, regional (i.e. outside the Beltway) educational advocacy effort. This includes overseeing and closely coordinating with relevant independent contractor(s), closely monitoring policy developments in a number of individual states, and serving as AFPM’s primary point of contact for coalition members as needed.
- Work closely with the Vice President, State and Local Outreach to maintain efficient, effective two-way communications with AFPM membership regarding the outreach program. This will ensure that 1) AFPM’s outreach efforts remain aligned with member expectations and 2) AFPM members are well-informed regarding the outcomes of our engagement.