A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Reports to: Executive Director, Foundation Relations, OUD
Dotted to: Director of Campaign and Special Projects, Literature, Science & the Arts (LSA)
Supervises directly: Interns, professional and support staff as needed
Located in Wolverine Tower
Position summary: The Associate Director, Foundation Relations will lead the University’s efforts to recruit funding for departments and disciplines across LSA, as a member of the Foundation Relations team. He or she will assist in developing and carrying out the University of Michigan Foundation Relations program by developing new and increased gift support from professional foundations and nurturing strong partnerships between LSA, LSA faculty, and foundations. The Associate Director will also work closely with the Executive Director and the Foundation Relations team in the development of communications strategies and tools for recruiting faculty proposals, including outreach to faculty that includes workshops, email, social media, and 1:1 strategy sessions.
- (30%) Maintain a caseload of assigned professional foundations whose focus is served by LSA disciplines and faculty. Nurture and develop foundation relationships and partnerships that include LSA staff, faculty and leadership.
- (30%) Support the development of proposals and strategies for academic leaders and faculty members. Provide advice and consulting services to units and research centers regarding foundation development programs including benchmarking, strategic analysis, prospect research and proposal planning. Rekindle foundation relationships as possible.
- (20%) Initiate and facilitate new relationships between foundations with interest in new or emerging priority programs and initiatives. Initiate and coordinate research and strategy on new foundations and assist in maintaining a shared set of information resource tools for LSA faculty as well as those at other schools/colleges/centers.
- (15%) Work closely with LSA office of research and associate deans in managing competitions, strategies, matches, indirects, and other issues core to faculty success. Manage internal communications strategies and tools, including information sharing, news releases on awards, and organization of presentations and outreach to faculty.
- (5%) Perform other special projects and duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required. An advanced degree is highly desirable.
- Previous foundation fundraising experience, and understanding of funding and accountability requirements.
- Strong writing skills essential; solid researching and communications skills desired.
- Reasonable experience and knowledge of business organizations and fundraising is necessary. Understanding of university systems is a plus.
- Reasonable experience in journalism, marketing, advertising, public relations, or a related field is required.
- Reasonable experience in strategic planning, program planning, analysis, and coordination is necessary.
Familiarity with University policies and procedures.
For additional information about this position and to review other current openings in Development, please visit our website at: www.giving.umich.edu/careers
The Office of University Development maximizes private support for the University of Michigan through high-quality collaboration with the development programs of schools, colleges, and units. We also provide fundraising leadership through the stimulation and facilitation of healthy, productive and life-long relationships with our colleagues, alumni, friends, foundations and corporations.
Although the Posting End Date may indicate otherwise, this job may be filled and closed anytime after a posting duration of seven calendar days.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.