The Columbus Association for the Performing Arts (CAPA), seeks a forward-thinking, energetic and visionary professional, the CAPA President and CEO has overall accountability, responsibility and authority for the leadership of CAPA. This individual reports to the CAPA Board of Trustees and provides overall leadership to a six-person, senior executive team as well as the Executive Director of the Shubert Theater in New Haven, Connecticut. The CEO acts in accordance with the strategic objectives and direction developed with the Board. This individual also ensures CAPA’s activities, including financial, operational, fundraising, marketing, human resource, technology, and programs are effectively implemented across all components of the organization.
The President and CEO empowers all CAPA staff including 100 full-time and 340 part-time or temporary employees, and over 700 volunteers. The CEO is an effective communicator who will guide CAPA through strategic planning and support organizational and staff development as it continues to evolve.
Today, CAPA operates in part through partnerships and the President and CEO enables its partners and shared services program organizations to thrive. CAPA has 20 resident arts groups and robust shared services agreements with seven local organizations and the Shubert Theatre. The President and CEO also currently serves as the executive leader of multiple organizations to which CAPA provides shared services. While the nature and extent of services provided differs for each partner, CAPA serves as a strong advocate for its partner organizations and the entire arts ecosystem of Columbus.
A champion of the arts in Columbus, the CEO balances the needs of CAPA and numerous partners and stakeholders and embraces inclusivity by engaging the broader community.
Internal and External Responsibilities
- An ex officio Trustee, the President and CEO will collaborate with the Board to set strategic objectives that promote the mission and financial sustainability of the organization.
- Communicate effectively with the Board and provide, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Deliver updates on CAPA’s achievement of financial, programmatic, and positive mission-driven work environment.
- Provide inspirational leadership and direction to all senior management and ensure the budget, staff, and priorities are aligned with the mission and the strategic direction of CAPA.
- Facilitate cross-departmental collaboration and strengthen internal communications with staff throughout the organization; create and promote a positive, multicultural work environment.
- Support the continued development and management of a professional and efficient organization and establish effective decision-making and operational processes that will enable CAPA to achieve its objectives.
- Evaluate new business opportunities, lead the decision-making process and effectively articulate the benefits and outcomes to CAPA’s Board and staff.
- Oversee the development of strategic and long and short range financial plans to ensure the financial success and long-term financial sustainability of CAPA and its shared services partners (where applicable).
- Oversee the development of an annual budget that is consistent with long-term financial sustainability and with the financial goals of CAPA. Ensure that the budget and financial goals are adequately benchmarked against actual results.
Community Relations and Fundraising
- Serve as CAPA’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media and the general public.
- Enhance CAPA’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with and developing relationships with corporate, civic and arts leaders.
- Establish and maintain relationships with appropriate organizations, both nationally and internationally, and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance CAPA’s Mission.
- Ensure effective fundraising programs and initiatives for corporate, government, and individual donors.
- Ensure the development of comprehensive marketing, branding and PR strategies that will promote the activities and programs of CAPA and maximize long-term revenue potential consistent with the organizational mission.
- Oversee the delivery of high-quality and innovative programming that meets the artistic needs and aspirations of the communities CAPA serves within the parameters of the annual budget.
- Develop an annual Broadway season in partnership with Broadway Across America and participate in the creation of strategies that promote the Broadway product in the community.
- Ensure the maintenance and upkeep of all CAPA properties including the historic theatres to which CAPA has been entrusted. Establish a process for capital planning and capital funding to meet CAPA’s long-term building needs.
- Ensure that CAPA meets the requirements of its shared services agreements and provides a level of service that is consistent with CAPA’s internal standard of service.
- Evaluate CAPA’s shared services model using a defined evaluation system that includes input from CAPA’s shared service partners.
- Manage the allocation of CAPA resources between itself and shared service partners; ensure that resources are deployed in an equitable manner.