The Department of Education and Early Learning (DEEL) works to ensure that all Seattle children have the greatest opportunity to succeed in school and in life. The department is charged with improving the lives of Seattle families by helping children enter kindergarten ready to succeed, providing support so students achieve academically and the opportunity gap is eliminated, and making sure students graduate from high school prepared for college or career.
DEEL strives to embed the City's Race and Social Justice Initiative into its education objectives and seeks staff that value the importance of working together as a community and government to eliminate racial disparities and achieve racial equity.
DEEL is looking to fill the position of Communications & Outreach Manager. This position serves as a dynamic leader in managing and coordinating integrated plans for all community outreach, public affairs, digital content development, and communication strategies for the Department of Education and Early Learning.
Reporting to the DEEL Director, you will utilize your communications, marketing, and community engagement expertise to support department programs and initiatives. The position is responsible for daily departmental communications tasks, such as: developing talking points, communicating with the media, managing website and social media, and writing stakeholder newsletters. Additionally, this position is frequently engaged in special projects and initiatives within the department, such as: planning and holding large scale community meetings to solicit community feedback, recruitment of students for funded programs, and partnering with other departments on community engagement efforts.
- Work with project teams to determine outreach objectives, strategies, timelines, and budgets.
- Research appropriate communication tactics, identify key audiences, develop key messages, and advise the project team on cost-effective and inclusive methods to reach target audiences.
- Develop communications plans, outreach materials, press releases, social media, and web content.
- Organize and staff outreach activities.
- Elevate community outreach concerns and communicate issues to interested parties.
- Act as liaison with other departments and agencies on communications and outreach issues.
- Track and report project communications and media coverage; compile and prepare summaries of outreach activities; analyze outreach results to determine if goals are achieved.
- Act as liaison and spokesperson with the media and public; represent the Department at various meetings and/or events as assigned.
- Participate in establishing DEEL goal setting and strategic planning initiatives.
- Implement communications strategies that involve multi-formatted collateral, including website content management, social media engagement, and visual graphics expertise.
- Update and design new DEEL website pages and review content for clarity and accuracy.
- Execute communication strategies to convey complex problems which navigate highly visible, sensitive, and controversial issues with external constituencies.
- Write a range of materials, including press releases, announcements or highlights on program milestones and funding awards; fact sheets; newsletter articles; web content, etc.
- Communicate clearly and effectively through presentations and written materials to community leaders, elected officials, and other stakeholders,
- Act as DEEL's Public Information Officer and represent DEEL to the Mayor's Office and other City departments