The Public Relations Writer is responsible for researching, writing and editing content for college publications and news releases, as well as the duties listed below.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Research, provide recommendations, draft, and edit stories for the WCC publication On the Record, along with other public relations opportunities.
• Assist with all public and media relations communications as directed, to include news releases, media advisories and calendar listings, as assigned by the Director of Media Relations.
• Excel with attention to detail and ability to follow a public relations plan.
• Publicize WCC programs, activities, awards, good news, etc., utilizing social media.
• Create project calendar for the WCC publication Water Cooler, along with writing and editing stories.
• Draft and pitch stories to local, regional and national media outlets.
• Coordinate college updates during Fall and Winter semesters (3-4 times per semester) as well as providing student communications at least twice annually.
• Establish rapport and working relationships with key faculty and staff on the development of stories and news releases for college publications and public relations.
• Partner with cross functional divisions while working independently and exercising good judgment and decision making.
• Demonstrate objectivity and critical thinking by connecting assignments to objectives and seeking clarity/asking questions.
• Work within project timelines, prioritize and manage multiple projects, assignments and deadlines.
• Assist in coordinating media relations efforts in crisis situations.
• Develop a working understanding of Cision and other media monitoring platforms.
• Working knowledge and utilization of various platforms for research and information.
• Maintain working knowledge of social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn.
• Monitor the media for topics relevant to WCC activities and higher education.
• Assist with the organization and execution of college events and news conferences.
• Assist in drafting materials/scripts/talking points.
• Distribute news releases via PR Newswire and Business Wire.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Media Relations.