A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Institute for Research on Labor, Employment, and the Economy (IRLEE), is a unit within the University of Michigan Office of Research (UMOR) and reports to UMOR as well as the Office of the Vice President for Government Relations. IRLEE empowers communities, businesses, inventors, innovators, and state and federal governments with economic and market insights to better engage and contribute to job creation, job retention, and improvement of local, state, and federal economies. IRLEE leads economic, industry, advanced manufacturing, and jobs forecasting. IRLEE transforms these insights into programs that provide business and communities’ assistance, support, and intervention.
IRLEE is seeking a Project Intermediate Manager for the Defense Manufacturing Assistance Program (DMAP). This position will conduct diagnostic analysis of client manufacturing firms to determine strategies, identify and then manage projects to stabilize and diversify firms. The Project Intermediate Manager manages projects between consultants, clients and the university and is responsible for proper fiscal and programmatic compliance. This position will manage and mentor student graduate and undergraduate Research Associates in the development and execution of advisory plans and associated projects and is responsible for program and cross-functional project leadership and overall success of program deliverables and enterprise wide projects as assigned.
Term-Limited Appointment: March 1, 2017 - May 31, 2018; with possibility of continued funding for additional years.
- Recruit, assess and perform diagnostic analysis of defense-related manufacturing firms.
- Develop and implement business plan strategies and diversification plans for manufacturing firms.
- Supervise and direct student research associates in the development of business plans and associated projects.
- Develop request for proposals for professional service required for project implementation, research and other projects with professional staff Manage consultants and service providers to ensure successful projects process for DMAP clients.
- Evaluate and authorize payments for consulting services and professional fees for project implementation projects. Document shared and individual practices and procedures.
- Creating opportunities for operational excellence through consistency and cross functional data and reporting practices. Make recommendations for the addition of tools and processes.
- Work closely with managers and others to identify information gaps and needs. Facilitate meetings.
- Provide project management support and leadership within DMAP and collaboration with other programs in the institute. Maintain and update reporting, project management, and database systems.
- Prepare and present reports as needed.
- Manage project performance, periodic cost, and productivity analyses. Deploy new processes and tools as needed.
- Ability to work on multiple tasks in both a team environment and independently.
- A master’s degree in business, engineering, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Manufacturing and technical capabilities.
- Strong financial analysis capabilities.
- Proven level of maturity, excellent people skills and ability to function in a collaborative atmosphere with limited supervision. Established experience defining priorities, working through conflicts and identifying creative solutions.
- Operational excellence experience in a client or customer environment. Must have the ability to exercise creativity, critical thinking, and judgment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Advanced MS Office/CRM/Project knowledge. Proficient business and technical writing skills.
- Excellent communication skills: follow verbal direction; ability to ask clarifying questions. Excellent organizational, professional and time management skills.
- Reliable attendance.
- Acquainted with office management systems and procedures. Discretion and confidentiality.
- Project Management Certification (PMP) preferred. Contracting experience.
- Advanced degree in marketing, engineering, or finance.
- Consulting or business coaching experience: especially with small manufacturing and/or technology businesses Defense-related industry experience.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards. Must be able to communicate clearly via telephone.
- Ability to enter into an ITAR/ Security Clearance restricted facility.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.