This is a 100%-time, 12-month appointment. Initial appointment is for 1 year and may be renewed, based on performance and available funding.
The ideal candidate will possess some set of our desired skills and abilities, as well as the ability to function and adapt in an ever-changing research environment and with a wide variety of personality types. The individual in this position will report to the lab PIs (Dr. Lucy Dunne and Dr. Brad Holschuh), and may also participate in college-level or external activities (including grant writing). We are committed to attracting candidates from historically underrepresented groups knowing that diversity enriches the academic experience and provides a knowledge base for innovation.
Contribute to Research Projects (50%)
- Understand and implement University, College, Department and Center goals and initiatives and incorporate them into daily work.
- Oversee program activities to ensure compliance with sponsor regulations, as well as University policies and procedures, including assisting in the process of securing approval through the Institutional Review Board for work with human subjects.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the center’s multiple research projects. Work closely with the PIs to plan the flow of projects and initiatives. Plan, create and implement systems and procedures that direct and coordinate work and keep detailed records.
- Contribute to experimental design; assist undergraduate and graduate research assistants in executing project experiments and processing/analyzing data.
- Provide training and/or technical assistance to undergraduate and graduate research assistants in developing experimental tools, prototypes, and test devices, in one or more of the domains of garment development, electronic device development, biological data acquisition and data processing, software development, and/or mechanical device development.
- Work closely with the PIs to design and implement evaluation tools and metrics.
- Contribute to writing and editing grant proposals and manuscripts.
Project Management (50%)
- Monitor and coordinate research and grant deadlines, arrange regular meetings, and oversee progress toward defined tasks.
- Anticipate, plan and execute daily operations and internal procedures for routine tasks including but not limited to budget and finance, travel, record-keeping, internal communications, and orientation/training. Plan and implement systems and procedures that direct and coordinate operational and administrative activities.
- Serve as local operational content expert. Ensure Lab observes University and College policies, procedures and guidelines and maintains compliance in all areas, including finance and HR.
- Track and monitor revenue and expenditures. Serve as Lab liaison with Financial Services Team.
- Track and monitor employment appointments and serve as Lab liaison to the department administrator regarding human resources.
- Foster a workplace environment where unit leadership and employees are committed to principles and practices of respect, inclusivity, continuous improvement and teamwork.
- Manage lab supplies, purchasing, maintenance agreements, maintenance/repairs and reimbursement procedures in accordance with University policies and procedures, in collaboration with the College Finance Office. Establish and maintain vendor and service provider relationships.
- Perform maintenance and basic repairs on lab equipment as needed
- Oversee regular external communications, including maintaining up-to-date web presence for the Center.Serve as lab liaison/content expert for CDes Advancement unit and DHA web manager. Ensure adherence to College image and consistency with messages. Work with College web and multimedia manager to ensure web sites meet lab needs.
- Coordinate lab visits/tours as needed for external sponsors, collaborators, prospective students, and others. Represent the lab (and coordinate student representatives where needed) at recruitment and other public-facing events.