|A master's degree in business, finance, higher education or related field required. Fifteen years of extensive and increasingly responsible experience working in complex and diverse management roles. A record of significant, relevant, sustained, and successful senior management experience. Strong experience in developing management strategies and effectively implementing programs and initiatives across multiple disciplines required. Experience in negotiation, conciliation and crisis management. |
A record of significant, relevant, sustained, and successful senior management experience. Strong experience in developing management strategies and effectively implementing programs and initiatives across multiple disciplines required. Experience in negotiation, conciliation and crisis management. Ability to communicate effectively with academic and administrative personnel to present information both orally and in a written form. Previous experience in higher education, biomedical research and/or health care is strongly preferred.
* Grasps the operational challenges of a large, distributed organization with a bold mission, high cost structure, and multiple stakeholders.
* Proactive problem solver who anticipates strategic issues, develops alternative scenarios, and helps to navigate the organization in successful directions.
* Thinks and communicates logically and clearly. Persuades others with fact-based judgments to make appropriate and necessary choices.
Executing for Results
* Metric-driven manager/executive who is focused on efficiency, effectiveness, and continuous improvement of operational processes, with a keen eye always on supporting the HMS mission (education and research), encouraging innovation/growth, and focusing on long-term sustainability.
* Proven ability to optimize overall organizational performance. Think creatively and strategically about how to improve operational systems, including systems that are already performing well.
* Sets specific, compelling goals and priorities for improvement. Pursues long-term visionary goals in tandem with short-term results.
* Strong partner, trusted adviser, and enthusiastic leader who inspires and positively motivates others into action in support of Dean Daley and the HMS agenda.
* Conveys a sense of urgency, drives issues to closure, able to work under tight timelines. Sets benchmarks independent of and beyond organizational best practice, based on a defined
understanding of what is possible.
Building and Leading Teams
* Builds effective coalitions to move the agenda forward and proactively solicits others' views before making or advising on key decisions.
* Translates overarching business goals into specific objectives for each member of the team. Articulates goals and objectives into specifics that are easily understood. Holds people accountable for agreed-to results.
* Hires and manages strong teams, providing coaching, training, and development.
Collaborating and Influencing
* Builds coalitions; interacts, communicates, and builds consensus with a high-octane, independent, research oriented constituency. Creates a common culture of partnership.
* Builds innovative and distinctive partnerships at HMS, across Harvard and beyond, including with the Boston and Massachusetts business communities and other Boston institutions.
* Models respect to people from all backgrounds and organization levels, by seeking and including different thinking styles, cultures, and backgrounds. Operate with clarity, appropriate transparency, and diplomacy.
Other Personal Characteristics
* Energy and a strong, engaging presence; charismatic
* Self-confident; low ego.
* Exhibits an adaptive, customer-oriented personality.
* Takes appropriate business risks. Goes back to core values, goals, and strategies when making decisions.
* Navigates confidently in ambiguous situations.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.