ENA is looking for a talented storyteller with a journalistic editing style and superb communication skills to join our team! The Assistant Managing Editor is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the association’s monthly membership magazine, ENA Connection. This includes assigning stories to freelance writers, writing, editing, headline production, layout and lineup development.
Position responsibilities include:
• Responsible for researching, writing, editing and proofreading articles and other copy for ENA Connection and other PR/Communications department initiatives when needed.
• Contributes to each issue of ENA Connection with several bylined pieces (stories, profiles, committee reports, etc.). Implements content development from staff, board members, outside writers and other sources. Researches topics, conducts interviews and coordinates with internal departments, sponsors, like-minded organizations, and public relations professionals. Covers ENA events such as the annual and regional conferences, Day on the Hill and leadership orientation for articles.
• Contributes to each issue by consistently offering photo or other visual element suggestions to further benefit an article or issue.
• In conjunction with the Senior Manager of Publications, develops monthly issue lineups to ensure ENA Connection and associated online publications remain on target with established annual editorial calendar and publishing schedule. • Contributes to editorial calendars with story ideas and informative, timely and compelling internal organization content.
• Assists in choosing and assigning freelance contributors, confirming potential member sources’ desire to participate in stories and soliciting photographs, head shots and other art for stories.
• Conducts research and fact-checking, corrects or provides appropriate references/citations for necessary copy and ensures all relevant source reviews and approvals have been attained.
• Edits and rewrites content written by member contributors, for clarity and consistency.
• Writes cover text, headlines, table of contents and photo cutlines for ENA Connection and other ENA publications, both print and online.
• Offers thorough, careful examination of magazine issue editing at each stage of the proof review process. Solicits and compiles proof reviews from appropriate magazine stakeholders and select association-wide staff members at various review stages.
• Works with in-house graphic design team and offsite printer to prepare, upload and approve error-free proof pages for production.
• In conjunction with the Senior Manager of Publications, oversees integration of ENA Connection print content with future online publications.
• Works as part of an interdepartmental team to ensure consistent messaging, branding, and style between all forms of association communications.
• Contributes to the workplace culture consistent with the association’s culture statement and emphasizes the mission, vision, and values of the organization.
• Displays a high level of accountability, taking responsibility for individual actions and the impact on the organization. Views oneself as a reflection of the organization by following through on commitments and accepting ownership.
• Performs additional related duties as required or assigned.
The ideal candidate will have the following requirements and demonstrated experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, or related field
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in communications, writing and editing (preferably in a similar position with demonstrated skills and proven track record of success)
• Strong working knowledge of AP Style; detailed and accurate copyeditor and proofreader
• Experience with magazine and feature writing
• Excellent organizational skills
• Excellent collaborative communication and interpersonal skills
• Exceptional project and time management skills
• Excellent oral and written communications skills
• Ability to collaborate with appropriate leadership qualities
• Ability to effectively interview members/constituents with professionalism and sensitivity
• Ability to not only take constructive criticism gracefully but welcome it in the spirit of always improving and evolving as a writer, reporter, and editor.
• Ability to prioritize multiple and varied tasks within established deadlines
• Computer proficiency in Word; database systems including Excel; PowerPoint
• Ability to interface with staff and external relationships in a professional manner
ENA offers a collaborative team environment, great benefits, including a robust 401(k), work at home opportunities and more. At ENA, your work helps emergency nurses excel.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About Emergency Nurses Association
The Emergency Nurses Association (ENA) is the premier professional nursing association dedicated to defining the future of emergency nursing through advocacy, education, research, innovation, and leadership. Founded in 1970, ENA has proven to be an indispensable resource to the global emergency nursing community. With more than 43,000 members worldwide, ENA advocates for patient safety develops industry-leading practice standards and guidelines and guides emergency healthcare public policy. ENA members have expertise in triage, patient care, disaster preparedness, and all aspects of emergency care. Additional information is available at www.ena.org