Posting Summary: General Function: The Executive Director of Public Relations will assist with developing and executing strategies intended to create and uphold a positive image for the University. This position will be responsible for nurturing relationships with various members of the media, marketing and advertising community along with other organizations including government and community groups to establish partnerships that generate additional media and outreach opportunities.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities: 1. Hires and directs unite staff with the guidance and approval from the supervisor when needed.
2. Assigns activities and reviews work of subordinate staff.
3. Manages department goals and strategies that correlate to the organization's overall strategic plan.
4. Serves as a company representative during designated events.
5. Directs staff to carry out all external communications activities.
6. Assists with the research on public opinion and communicates with stakeholders to enhance the organization's reputation.
7. Informs executives on market trends.
8. Develops and manages budgets of department.
9. Arranges interviews and prepares speeches for executive level staff members.
10. Works with marketing and advertising managers to ensure advertising campaigns are in line with company's image and goals.
11. Oversees crisis operations in communicating with internal and external constituents and the media in general.
12. Implements damage control procedures as required, especially after negative incidents have occurred.
13. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Internal Number: 220_55888
About Tennessee State University
Tennessee State University is committed to excellence and has been consistently listed in the U.S. News & World Report’s “Guide to America’s Best Colleges” for more than a decade. Founded in 1912, TSU is a comprehensive, urban, co-educational, land-grant institution in Nashville, Tennessee. The university has been served by seven presidents, including Dr. Glenda Baskin Glover, who is currently serving as our eighth president.TWO CAMPUSESOur Nashville home offers two locations—the 500-acre main campus nestles in a beautiful residential neighborhood along the Cumberland River, and the downtown Avon Williams campus sits near the center of Nashville’s business and government district.