Associate Administrator Biomedical and Clinical Research - Nemours Children's Hospital
Nemours Childrenâ€™s Health System
July 1, 2018
As one of the nation's leading pediatric health care systems, Nemours is committed to providing all children with their best chance to grow up healthy. We offer integrated, family-centered care to more than 300,000 children each year in our pediatric hospitals, specialty clinics and primary care practices in Delaware, Florida, Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Nemours strives to ensure a healthier tomorrow for all children - even those who may never enter our doors - through our world-changing research, education and advocacy efforts. At Nemours, our Associates help us deliver on the promise we make to every family we have the privilege of serving: to treat their child as if they were our own.
The Associate Administrator - Biomedical and Clinical Research is expected to provide responsibility and guidance for all Nemours Children's Hospital (NCH) biomedical and clinical research initiatives pertaining to general finance, research facilities, clinical research core, human resources and financial audit functions. Act in a leadership capacity for these initiatives and as a liaison with other campuses, departments, and functional groups as required to accomplish goals. Responsible for integration of Research Administration functions across campuses in concert with peers in North Florida and Delaware Valley operations and under the direction of the Chief Scientific Officer. Provides management and oversight for all NCH biomedical and clinical research planning, development and implementation of daily operations. Provides high level administrative support to the Chief Scientific Officer and Operational Vice President of Biomedical Research and Research Center Directors regarding research administrative matters at NCH and undertakes special projects at their direction.
Responsibilities for Nemours Children's Hospital Research operations:
Local Program Planning, Development and Implementation in accordance with established Research strategy and goals.
* Prepares studies, reports, and business plans as requested by senior leadership * Maintains viability and growth of existing programs * Makes program recommendations to senior leadership * Establishes and maintains appropriate scientific and academic relationships in support of the clinical research strategy, including leadership of Nemours clinical research collaborations with partner institutions * Establishes and supports appropriate business, industry, and governmental agency relationships in support of the clinical research strategy in order to attract funding and externally sponsored trials. This includes triaging and prioritization of requests to enter into trials or other clinical research using core coordinator resources. * Works in concert with the Research Administration to assure that appropriate business systems and resources are available to adequately support the clinical research core
Budget and Finance: Primary oversight for NCH to maximize efficiency and resource utilization.
* Prepares and administers annual budget in conjunction with Lab Heads, Center Directors, and Managers with support from the Research Senior Financial Analyst and Director of Research Administration * Monitors purchasing and reviews monthly budget variances; monitors capital expenditures * Supports and develops infrastructure necessary for Lab Heads, Center Directors, and Managers to accomplish their Center, individual lab or program's mission ensuring compliance with the Nemours Foundation and external funding source rules and regulations * Acts as the Financial Liaison between Biomedical Research and corporate Finance/Accounting in concert with the Manager, Office of Sponsored Projects * Oversees the Clinical Research Coordinator Core for NCH and interfaces with all other Nemours Clinical Research site operations * Develops External Reports as required by Funding Agencies * Develops Standard Operating Procedures for the Office of Sponsored Projects * Establishes Performance Measures for the Office of Sponsored Projects * Standardizes all biomedical research financial processes * Ensures all pre-award financial and application staff and processes meet research investigator needs. * In coordination with Finance/Accounting, provides post-award financial support to investigators to ensure successful budget and project management to maximize and leverage external support to achieve the goals of Biomedical Research
Audit: Responsible for the oversight of all biomedical research audit and financial compliance needs for NCH, integrating with North Florida and Delaware Valley as needed.
* Establishes all financial and performance audit needs * Acts as Liaison between Biomedical Research and Corporate Compliance pertaining to financial concerns for NCH operations
* Full personnel responsibility for NCH-based Research Administration associates including hiring, promotion, evaluation and counseling/disciplinary action
* Maintains all research departmental policies/procedures current and complete, and reviews for appropriateness within hospital/practice policies; ensures departmental compliance * Works with parallel Research Administration staff in North Florida and Delaware Valley to ensure parity and relative consistency in Research policies across campuses
Division of Research Administration.
* Functions as division director with direct supervisory and management responsibilities for all administrative functions, as outlined above * Serves on additional selected committees to represent research interests
Coordination with the Director of Research Administration for the following enterprise-wide functions:
Education and Training: Responsible for the establishment and maintenance of a corporate-wide research educational initiative for investigators and key personnel that will meet all applicable regulations and fulfill institutional responsibility in this regard; maintenance of a formal training program.
Policies and Regulatory Matters: Responsible for the oversight of development, implementation and maintenance of all biomedical and clinical research policies and guidelines; administrative support for required and ad hoc reporting.
Planning and Development: Responsible for the integration of planning and development efforts to meet the present and future needs of the Nemours biomedical research programs.
* Assessment of the facility and space needs of the biomedical and clinical research programs, as well as participation in appropriate strategic planning efforts, in concert with senior leadership. Leadership role in preparing reports and analyses for these efforts. * Ongoing participation in the initiatives of the Fund for Children's Health (fundraising efforts).
4. Promotion of Nemours Biomedical Research initiatives through interactions with communications and public relations staff and provision of contacts and data for reports, articles, interviews, etc.
* Masters degree from an accredited institution, preferably in Business Admin. or Health-related field; * Minimum 5 years administrative and fiscal management experience; * Minimum of 5 years experience in academic research and/or healthcare setting * Knowledge of the NIH and other funding agencies; * Experience with managing or overseeing clinical trials preferred; * Demonstrated financial management skills; personnel management and supervisory experience;
Our dedication to professionals who are dedicated to children frequently earns Nemours a spot on the list of top workplaces in the communities we serve. Our Associates enjoy comprehensive benefits, including our unique Bridge to a Healthy Future pediatric health plan, an integrated wellness prog