Advertised Summary Job Description: Reporting to the General Manager, the Catering Sales Manager is responsible for generating revenue as set forth in annual budget through managing sales efforts, solicitation and maintenance of Banquet accounts. Oversee Banquets aspects of full-service catering department; provide full feedback of all events to General Manager; assist the General Manager with special projects.
Responsibilities include: 1. Accountable for solicitation of University in house events, social and all other target markets. Execute and attain sales Goals as agreed upon by the General Manager.
2. Manage total sales effort with team members to include: outside calls, blitz calling, new prospect call and incoming inquiries as designated in annual action plan.
3. In collaboration with the Events Managers, monitor all banquet space for preventative maintenance an aesthetic qualities. Strategize with Banquet Manager revenue and space utilization.
4. Report all "need periods" and marketing ideas to General Manager for promotional collateral.
5. Monitor and review all correspondence including letters, e-mails, and contracts/agreements to verify accuracy and timeliness.
6. Conduct periodic comparative analysis of competition. Generate monthly forecast on 90 period. Submit detailed month end report to General Manager.
7. Conduct monthly meeting with sales and operation staff; coordinate and lead event order meeting twice a week with operations, culinary, and audio visual. Attend all necessary meetings as instructed by the General Manager.
8. Monitor and ensure that all accounts are properly rated, traced and yielded, and managed through EMS. Ensure that accounts are cleaned out according to monthly action plan. (Releasing of space from system that has not confirmed to definite.)
9. Collaborate with Chef and General Manager to update and maintain menu offerings. Create special menus and promotions to enhance selling tools.
10. Recruit and attract high performing service personnel and retain a workforce that reflects the diversity of the University. Coach, train and develop direct reports to improve their skills/knowledge base to enhance interaction with all food and beverage, sales managers and operation managers to ensure internal communication and a positive guest experience.
11. Perform other related duties as required.
General Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree and/or its equivalent required. Minimum 3-5 years catering sales experience required; preferably in an upscale food and beverage/catering operation with proven track record of accomplishments.
Additional Specific Minimum Qualifications: Ability to interpret the business goals of the department and apply sales techniques to execute those goals. Must possess strong written and oral communication skills with ability to handle high-volume workload, manage concurrent projects, meet deadlines and work as part of a team. Demonstrated ability to work independently and exercise astute judgment. Requires excellent customer service orientation, strong leadership and people skills with ability to build and foster a team environment. Position requires knowledge of Word and Excel, and experience with any catering system such as EMS, or Delphi. Must be able to work a flexible schedule including nights/ weekends and holidays.
Preferred Qualifications: Specific experience desired in banquet sales and catering services. Advanced analytical and problem solving skills are highly desirable. Knowledge of New York Metropolitan area and multilingual ability strongly preferred.
As a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the Council of Ivy Group Presidents (Ivy League), it is imperative that members of the Columbia University community, in all matters related to the intercollegiate athletics program, exhibit the highest professional standards and ethical behavior with regard to adherence to NCAA, Conference, University, and Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and Physical Education rules and regulations.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Internal Number: 126_169730
About Columbia University
Columbia University is one of the world's most important centers of research and at the same time a distinctive and distinguished learning environment for undergraduates and graduate students in many scholarly and professional fields. The University recognizes the importance of its location in New York City and seeks to link its research and teaching to the vast resources of a great metropolis. It seeks to attract a diverse and international faculty and student body, to support research and teaching on global issues, and to create academic relationships with many countries and regions. It expects all areas of the university to advance knowledge and learning at the highest level and to convey the products of its efforts to the world.