SUMMARY: Coordinates the production of four Class Report books, including outreach for participation, content (author submissions), printing process, and distribution. Manages alumni volunteers and provides exceptional customer service to alumni and partners across the University. Manages all communications for assigned Class Reports, utilizing print and digital channels and analytics. Edits, proofreads, and prepares layout of Report copy for printer. Designs, schedules, and approves mailings and emails. Researches and writes obituary content. Provides editorial and administrative support for Commencement. Works closely with alumni, volunteers, vendors, and university staff. Extracts appropriate lists and reports from alumni database. Answers phones and provides light administrative support.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Works closely with alumni volunteers and University staff on production of four Class Reports, providing excellent customer service and alumni relations at all times.
2. Coordinates publishing of four volumes of Class Reports, meeting a mail date preceding each quinquennial Reunion in the most cost-effective manner. Utilizes web-based content management system and office software -- MS Word, Excel, Advance, InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat, HTML, XML, etc. -- to accomplish tasks.
3. Edits and prepares copy, following selected book style, office style guide, and the Chicago Manual of Style, for printer from author manuscripts.
4. Directs queries to alumni authors as early in production stage as possible.
5. Supervises and trains assigned student workers who assist with book production: keying and scanning copy, research and fact checking, cross-referencing of indexes, use of specialized computer programs, etc.
6. Proofreads text, galleys, and page proofs, and makes corrections as needed.
7. Throughout production cycle incorporates address/status changes to Report in all segments: the Records of the Class section, Geographical Index, Obituaries; relates address/status change information to other departments as necessary (Alumni Records, Reunion Office, etc.)
8. Researches and writes obituaries
9. Designs mailing materials (forms, questionnaires, postcards, class stationery) in Adobe InDesign to provide print-ready files for printers.
10. Prepares and schedules mailings and broadcast emails.
11. Provides light administrative support and answers telephone and walk-in inquiries as needed.
12. Covers the HAA reception desk as needed.
13. The above covers the most significant responsibilities of this position. It does not, however, exclude other duties, the inclusion of which would be in conformity with the level of the position
This is a time limited position with a set end date of one year from the start date of the new hire.
Please include a cover letter with your application.
Skills testing may be a component of the interview process for this position.
The department of Alumni Affairs and Development at Harvard University is committed to diversity. We welcome applicants who bring varied experience, thought, and practice to the department's mission to maintain and enhance an engaged community of alumni and friends worldwide and to lead the University's fundraising efforts.
Harvard University Benefits Package Vacation/Sick/Personal/Holidays: Harvard offers 3 (union roles) - 4 (exempt) weeks paid vacation, a paid holiday break between Christmas and New Year's Day, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days each year. Medical/Dental/Vision Benefit: Harvard offers a variety of excellent medical, dental, and vision plans which all begin on the first day of employment. Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service. Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted study options through participating Harvard Graduate Schools. Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as parking options to assist employees in their daily commute to campus. Wellness Options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complimentary health services. There are also fee-based athletic facility memberships available at various locations around the university for employees.
Salary Grade: 054
Union: 55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers
Minimum of two years related experience. Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, be organized, accurate and have an excellent knowledge of grammar, punctuation, and spelling. Exceptional customer services skills are required. Must occasionally work additional hours during peak periods during the year. Strong computer skills; experience with Windows, Excel and database knowledge required.
1. Bachelor's degree preferred. 2. Coursework in English, journalism, or equivalent experience required. 3. Project management and research experience preferred. 4. Excellent English grammar, spelling, proofreading skills, accuracy, and attention to detail. 5. Ability to work effectively with staff, vendors, and alumni. 6. Proficient computer skills, familiarity with using content-management systems, Microsoft Word, Excel, Web, and Adobe InDesign required. 7. Ability to set priorities and meet deadlines.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Internal Number: 45784BR
About Harvard University
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. The University, which is based in Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts, has an enrollment of over 20,000 degree candidates, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Harvard has more than 360,000 alumni around the world. The University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, offering a truly global education. Established in 1636, Harvard is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States.