Assistant Director of Athletic Communications-(PSS3)-AFT-External
June 1, 2018
The assistant director of athletic communications will be responsible for assisting the sports information director with the public relations of a NCAA Division III athletic program with 18 teams. The office provides the media, other universities and colleges, athletic organizations (NCAA, ECAC, NJAC) and the Rowan community with athletic information. Schedules, statistics, game results, rosters, award nominations, and other sports related material are prepared and provided upon request. The office is responsible for the athletic website (rowanathletics.com). This position requires work hours in the evenings and on the weekends.
Duties include writing and editing press releases, game programs and feature stories. Compiling statistics using stat crew at the home events. Reporting results, stories and statistics to the media, NJAC and NCAA. Update and maintain the athletic website. Nominate student-athletes for academic and athletic awards. Answering requests from the media, opponent schools, the conference and the NCAA. Assist in the day-to-day office operations and special events. Supervise student workers in the office and at games. Apply principles of the NJAC and NCAA in the course of duties.
Writing and editing of press releases, game programs and feature stories.
- write, edit and distribute press releases by email and fax to the media, conference and athletic organizations
- create home game programs and write game preview stories
- write feature stories and releases for student-athlete awards
Oversee statistics using stat crew.
- coordinate and maintain the office laptops that are used for stat crew and act as the liaison with the
University’s instruction technology department
- input rosters in stat crew programs and the NCAA roster website
- record statistics at the athletic events by using stat crew in-game software programs
- send game files to opponents and post to NCAA website
Reporting of results, stories and statistics.
- provide coverage at athletic events, report results and game story to the media, website and various athletic
Maintain and update the athletic website.
- responsible for daily updates of rosters, schedules and coaches and player bios
- post game scores, stories and link to sports polls and other athletic information
- create and post splash pages for special events
Nominate student-athletes for academic and athletic awards.
- gather information to nominate student-athletes for weekly and end of season awards
(athletic and academic)
- submit information that is required for nominations by required deadlines
Answer requests from the media, opponent schools, the conference and the NCAA.
- supply information and arrange interviews when requested by the media - provide opponents with roster and statistics information - complete information that is requested on questionnaires and forms from the NCAA and the NJAC
Assist in the day-to-day office operations and special events.
- assist the director with the day-to-day clerical operation of the office
- create databases for sports records, files and statistics
- maintain photo database for web site and requests
- compile and update roster files for athletic teams and schedules
- assist with the planning and participate at special events (Sports Hall of Fame, Senior Clock Awards and
NCAA Championship Tournaments)
Supervise student workers in the office and at athletic events.
- assign and monitor work for office student workers
- oversee students that are responsible for keeping statistics at the athletic events
Apply principles of the NJAC and NCAA in the course of duties.
- follow conference and NCAA rules in daily activities
- attend staff and conference meetings to keep informed of the latest updates
Graduation from an accredited college with a bachelor’s degree (communications, public relations, journalism or related field) and two years of full-time experience in sports information in collegiate athletics. Preferred experience three years or more.
Knowledge and Abilities:
Individual must be an excellent writer and proof reader with the ability to handle multiple tasks.
Must have an understanding of NCAA rules and have strong interpersonal and communication skills. Extensive knowledge and experience with Adobe InDesign and Photoshop, QuarkXPress, Microsoft Word and Stat Crew.
Please include names and contact information for a minimum of three references and a list of sports that you have ability to operate stat crew.
Salary: AFT Range 21
Internal Number: 492922
About Rowan University
A leading public institution, Rowan University combines liberal education with professional preparation from the baccalaureate through the doctorate. Rowan provides a collaborative, learning-centered environment in which highly qualified and diverse faculty, staff, and students integrate teaching, research, scholarship, creative activity, and community service. Through intellectual, social and cultural contributions, the University enriches the lives of those in the campus community and surrounding region.