Posting Summary: The Office of University Communications at the University of Virginia seeks an Assistant Art Director or Art Director to help support its core mission of elevating the reputation of the University while promoting and strengthening its brand regionally, nationally and internationally.
Reporting to the Creative Director, the Assistant Art Director or Art Director will provide design services in support of broad University priorities. He or she will translate strategy into clear, effective and on-brand design approaches in both digital and print mediums. Core responsibilities will include:
-Apply design as a tool to support strategic goals.
- Work as a member of the University Communications creative team and broader University design community to ensure that all design content elevates the University of Virginia brand.
- Create design content for digital, multimedia and print applications for marketing purposes across a range of platforms.
- Collaborate with creative professionals to provide art direction and assist in the creation of projects, campaigns and initiatives.
- Utilize design techniques, tools and principles, and advanced layout and typography to articulate the University's brand in fresh, effective and accessible ways.
- Employ the University's graphic standards, techniques, methods and style guides and developing standards for the institution, where relevant.
- Produce design enhancements that bring content to life in digital and traditional spaces.
- Work productively as part of a creative and visual team including videographers, photographers, web developers, designers and writing professionals.
- Work with the Creative Director, Account Executives and others to participate in creative briefings, project meetings, design review, and staff planning.
- Work with the Production Manager to ensure production tracking of day to day work, estimating and delivery of creative work.
The successful candidate will be conversant with current design and digital trends, with experience executing advertising and marketing concepts across various print and digital platforms. He/she will have demonstrated understanding of page layout, typography, color theory and application of assets such as photography, illustration and other digital graphics. He/she will also have experience in the creation of marketing materials that are in keeping with an established brand identity, articulate creative strategies and maintain high visual standards.
In addition to the above, the Art Director will manage small and large projects, coordinating different aspects of media content for deliverables. She/he will be responsible for translating organizational goals into strategic media deliverables, achieving the overall vision for a project. Recommend and develop new branding concepts for the organization, oversee the execution of projects, and may oversee work completed by external agencies, in order to complete multimedia deliverables in alignment with objectives.
Required Minimum Level of Education: *Degree Required
Required Specific Degree/Training: Bachelor's degree.
Required Minimum Level of Experience: Some - up to 4 years
Required Specific Experience: **Please submit a selection of your portfolio in PDF format, or a link to a website where your work can be seen with your application.** Relevant experience in graphic design for print, electronic and mobile is required. Assistant Art Director level 0-3 years experience, and the Art Director requires 3+ years of experience.
Preferred Minimum Level of Experience: Some - up to 4 years
Preferred Specific Experience: Experience working with a variety of media sources and formats preferred, particularly in the areas of web and print design.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: - Conversant with current design and digital trends with experience executing advertising and marketing concepts across various print and digital platforms.
- Collaborative, deadline-driven, willing to take creative direction and able to manage several projects at once in a competent manner.
- A highly creative, conceptual thinker with knowledge of design techniques, tools and principles including competence in graphic design software including: Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) and Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Demonstrated understanding of page layout, typography, color theory and choice/application of assets such as photography, illustration and other digital graphics)
- Experience in the creation of marketing materials that are in keeping with an established brand identity, articulate creative strategies and maintain high visual standards.
- Familiarity with the creative process including the development and ownership of a project from concept through final production and knowledge of prepress and printing processes/procedures.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Infographic and/or multimedia capabilities are preferred such as experience designing within a Content Management System (such as Drupal) and responsive web and mobile platforms.
Required Computer Applications: Experience with Adobe Creative Suite required
Internal Number: 353_84320
About University of Virginia
Founded by Thomas Jefferson, the University of Virginia opened in 1825 as the nation's first public university. A longstanding dedication to preeminence in both scholarship and teaching; top ranking in global satisfaction, collegiality and work/family issues on the COACHE survey of early career faculty; a commitment to excellence that is integrally connected with diversity and a broad array of benefits make the University of Virginia a prime choice for both faculty and staff. The University of Virginia is located in the small cosmopolitan city of Charlottesville near the Blue Ridge Mountains, 70 miles from Richmond and 110 miles from Washington, D.C. The University of Virginia remains the No. 2 best public university in the 2013 edition of the U.S. News and World Report rankings. In the 14 years since U.S. News began ranking public universities as a separate category, U.Va. has ranked either No. 1 or No. 2. U.Va. continues to rank in the Top 25 among the best of all national universities, public and private.