The primary responsibilities of this position include pre and post-season conditioning, weight training, recruiting, team and travel supervision, and coaching the Men’s Basketball Team during both practices and games. The focus of the WWCC athletic department is on strong ethical & academic expectations, providing an education environment that helps build leadership and life skills, and offers athletes a positive athletic experience.
This employee will participate in appropriate departmental activities.
The College expects this individual to accomplish assigned duties in an efficient, effective and competent manner and to strive for improvement and excellence in all work performed. Additionally, this individual must understand the comprehensive role of the community college and cooperate and work harmoniously with college personnel and the public. This individual will follow all college policies, rules, regulations and guidelines as they relate to this position.
PRIMARYDUTIESANDRESPONSIBILITIESFORWHICHTHISEMPLOYEE IS ACCOUNTABLE
1. Responsible for the preparation and training of the Men’s basketball team, and providing positive supervision and leadership for both practice and competitive activities. Organizes, supervises, coordinates, and evaluates practice sessions and related activities with proper attention to the players’ mental, emotional, social and physical well-being. Recognizes and responds appropriately to the physical injury of any athlete.
2. Serves as an example of competitive but sportsmanlike conduct. Deals fairly and honestly with all persons concerned with WWCC Athletics and Men’s Basketball.
3. Provides direction and assistance to student-athletes in achieving their academic, athletic, and personal goals. Assists the Athletic Director in monitoring, supervising and assisting with required Student-Athlete study requirements. Participates in orientation, marketing events and other programs that support student engagement.
4. Completes all paperwork required by the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA), including athletic eligibility reports and reports of team statistics in a timely fashion. Adheres to NJCAA and other relevant rules of the sport. Represents the College at regional meetings, scheduling meetings and business meetings related to NJCAA activities. Assures that all eligibility requirements are maintained.
5. Knowledgeable of and implements all necessary college policies, rules, regulations and guidelines including vehicle usage and travel, purchasing, printing and expenditure reporting and control; student rights and responsibilities including regulations on sexual harassment and alcohol use, purchasing, printing, and expenditure reporting and control.
6. Identifies and hires officials within NJCAA and Region IX standards.
7. Schedules all men’s basketball games with the concurrence of the Athletic Director. Works with the Athletic Director to make sure all support needs are met during games and tournaments.
8. Works with the Athletic Trainer to assure that athletic injuries are handled appropriately and in a timely fashion.
9. Coordinates with the Athletic Director on all travel arrangements for the Men’s Basketball team assuring that student and staff safety is top priority and that prudent cost-saving measures are considered. Accompanies and supervises the team on all trips.
10. Performs all duties relative to athletic student recruiting, including correspondence, travel and coordination of grant awards with the Financial Aid Office. Selects student athletes of a quality level which will allow the college to be competitive. Focuses on recruiting student athletes who understand the importance of their education and who do well in the classroom.
11. Assists the Athletic Director with games management of home athletic contests for all sports to assure that the College is offering a positive game day experience. Attends all home contests (that do not interfere with Men’s Basketball) to assist with game management.
12. Communicates and enforces college policies concerning the conduct of student-athletes, including that conduct required as a condition for retaining their athletic grant awards, maintaining the right to participate with and represent the team, and retaining college privileges. With collaboration with the Athletic Director, provides progressive discipline of team members up to and including team suspension or dismissal and cancellation of the athletic grant.
13. Works with other members of the Athletic Department on joint projects. Attends monthly staff meetings. Participates in student success service and campus-wide in-services and other programs.
14. Keeps the Athletic Director and Vice President for Student Success Services appraised of all issues of concern or potential problems.
15. Maintains an inventory of all assigned equipment and supplies; takes prudent effort to safeguard WWCC physical resources from unauthorized use.
16. Serves as a resource person to the community as a whole and to various special publics by speaking to groups, answering specific inquiries, locating information and performing other related tasks.
17. Keeps abreast of professional developments by attending conferences, seminars and workshops and by reading appropriate professional literature.
18. Performs necessary and desirable public relations duties relating to the athletic function. Works with and is responsive to the media, to provide for media coverage of athletic events.
19. Assists the Athletic Director with the coordination of community services activities for the entire Athletic Department.
1. Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution in a discipline specific area.
2. Three years previous Men’s Basketball coaching experience which demonstrates a thorough knowledge of the concepts, principles and practices of coaching basketball.
3. History of coaching success and maintaining discipline as well as a supportive and professional relationship with players.
4. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff, faculty, administrators and other members of the college community.
5. Experience that would relate to working effectively with booster club organizations in the accomplishment of goals and objectives.
6. Demonstrated integrity and ability to interact supportively with players while extracting optimum achievement.
7. Demonstrated organizational ability including experience with complex organizational procedures.
Equivalency Statement For those candidates who do not meet all minimum qualifications, an equivalent combination of education and experience, which has provided, comparable knowledge and abilities may be acceptable.
1. Experience coaching Men’s Basketball at the collegiate level.
2. Master’s Degree in a discipline-specific area.
3. Experience working with an Athletic Booster club.
About Western Wyoming Community College
Western Wyoming Community College is a comprehensive two-year
educational institution of higher learning that provides students with high quality
academic and vocational preparation across a variety of disciplines and career fields. Ranked by CNN Money as #13 and by Washington Monthly as #5 among community colleges nationwide for student success and completion, WWCC offers a complete and rewarding college experience with over 65 majors and serves as an excellent starting point for future educational and career achievement. Technical programs such as nursing, oil and gas production technology and industry maintenance prepare students for jobs in the local area and beyond.
Western offers an exciting and diverse campus atmosphere featuring the NJCAA Mustang athletic program, intramural sports, art exhibits, music and theatre productions, film screenings, and many student-led programs and activities. WWCC’s location in southwestern Wyoming makes it the perfect campus destination for outdoor adventurers, and its relative proximity to Salt Lake City and Denver ensures that students have reasonable access to those cities’ urban attractions.
From its distinctive student body and e...xceptional faculty to its first-rate academic resources and invigorating cultural atmosphere, Western is your college of choice in the
Rocky Mountain West.