The Manager of Special Projects reports to the Vice President of Strategic Enrollment Management (SEM). The incumbent is responsible for the coordination of operations for SEM, a division of nearly 100 people and a budget in excess of $12 Million. The Manager leads special projects initiated by the VP, and works closely with other executive leadership team members across and at all levels of the university and is the primary point-of-contact between the VP and other university offices, departments, schools and external partners.
The Manager provides supervision and direction for the administrative support staff and will provide logistical support for the following within SEM: overall budget; the hiring, training and onboarding of professional staff; special events; travel; and various special projects in support of enrollment driven initiatives under the direction of the VP. This highly active position plays a critical role in supporting the daily management of the departments within SEM, including Admissions, Recruitment & Outreach, Systems & Operations, Financial Aid and Student Accounts. Evening and weekend hours will be required.
The successful candidate will be customer/client-focused and possess the ability to handle sensitive issues in a personable, tactful, and organized manner to ensure collaboration and coordination among departments and across central university functions. This position requires a strong customer service orientation and the demonstrated ability to perform a variety of complex and diverse tasks involving independent judgment, leadership of projects and implementation of decisions.
- Operational support for the office of the Vice President for SEM, providing additional administrative support to the departments within SEM, including Admissions, Recruitment & Outreach, Systems & Operations, and Financial Aid
- Manage administrative support for SEM, providing supervision and direction for support staff and ensuring successful completion of high-priority, cross-functional enrollment driven initiatives and projects from inception to completion
- Draft and disseminate internal communication designed to maximize awareness of strategic efforts and plans within SEM, and with other university partners and stakeholders
- Facilitate consultant and vendor requests and maintain database of SEM related contracts
- Manage professional networks and organizations relevant to SEM
- Maintain discretion of information, including meeting materials, calendars, emails and university communications, and the sensitivity to handle confidential matters with students and staff members
- Organize all SEM meetings, retreats, and event/vacation calendars, disseminating information to the Senior Directors from the VP, as needed
- Coordinate schedule for VP, liaising with university offices and external parties, and plan/prepare travel itineraries for events and conferences
- Develop and maintain status reports of multiple projects undertaken by SEM, including the distribution of admissions/enrollment reports to all university offices and preparation of monthly reports for VP
- Coordinate, hire, train, and on-board all new professional staff within SEM
- Assist the VP with special projects and tasks, as assigned
- Bachelor's degree and/or experience working in a fast-paced higher educational environment
- Three or more years of work experience in project management or educational setting, including experience with budget management, staff supervision, travel logistics, scheduling and meeting management
- Demonstrated knowledge of supervisory and office management best practices, including attention to detail and preparation of reports
- Strong technological proficiency as it relates to project management software and Microsoft Office applications, specifically MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint. Knowledge of educational technology platforms, is a plus
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills and a demonstrated ability to exercise independent judgment and implement critical thinking skills to ensure collaboration and coordination amongst team members across all levels
- Demonstrated personal initiative and ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple deadlines and projects with strong attention to detail
Internal Number: 15082
About The New School
The New School, a leading university in downtown New York City, offers degree and nondegree academic programs in design, the social sciences, the liberal arts, management, the arts, and media. Students benefit from small classes, superior resources, and renowned faculty members who practice what they teach. Continuing education courses and public programs place the university at the center of New York’s cultural and intellectual life.