Primary Purpose: The Upper School Director is charged with comprehensive responsibility for all activities involving students and faculty in his/her division (Grades 9-12). Reports directly to the Head of School and works in conjunction with Associate Heads and all other Directors.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Maintains congruence between the school's mission statement and all activities of the Upper School and promote and enhance the image and reputation of the division.
2. Acts as the educational leader of the school division, responsible for its day-to-day operation; to develop a dynamic professional learning community within the division that actively engages all stakeholders.
3. Uses research-based practices to create, implement and monitor school improvement plans and improve academic and operational functions under his/her control.
4. Observes, supervises, and helps evaluate the faculty in the development and implementation of curriculum; to supervise the teaching process, and to review and evaluate the academic programs.
5. Provides an orderly, controlled and safe environment in which learning can take place, a school climate which is supportive and which reflects high morale.
6. Aware of the educational, physical, social, and psychological needs of the members of our school community, and to develop plans for meeting these needs.
7. Oversees and directs the activities of the department chairs, the sponsors of various student organizations and activities, and faculty committees.
8. Ensures compliance with legal requirements of government regulations and agencies; to maintain the educational standards established by the State of Florida and by those agencies that examine and accredit the school.
9. Develops, monitors and oversees budget and funds as assigned.
10. Collaborates with the Arts and Athletic Departments which are housed in separate buildings.
11. Establishes programs for the orientation of new teachers, for in-service training of all teachers, and for the evaluation of classroom teachers, to ensure that teachers are familiar with and adhere to school policies in all areas of the school operation.
12. Conducts regular meetings with faculty which will deal both with routine school matters and with the stimulating exchange of ideas on issues of educational/philosophical interest and concern.
13. Oversees the coordination of the co-curricular and extra-curricular activity programs; to assist in maintaining a comprehensive calendar of school events; to keep the entire school community informed of various school programs and activities.
14. Provides for the academic guidance of students; to maintain complete academic records on all students; to oversee the grading and the reporting of standards and methods used by teachers in measuring student achievement.
15. Visible presence in all areas of the school; to work toward a resolution of all problems both routine and unique as they arise; to keep the Head of School informed of the general programs, activities, and problems of the school.
16. Assists in the admission process for the testing, interviewing, and evaluating of applicants for enrollment.
17. Supports the school and its leadership.
18. Performs other duties as assigned by the Head of School.
Marginal Job Functions:
1. Attend evening and weekend events.
2. Other duties as assigned by Associate Heads.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to interact in a team environment.
2. Ability to lead and direct work groups.
3. Possess excellent skills in verbal and written communication.
4. Possess superior facilitation skills.
5. Demonstrated leadership ability.
6. A fond regard and respect for children and parents.
7. A willingness to investigate and try methods in instruction and curriculum which can enhance students' learning.
Required Education: Master's Degree
1. Minimum of three years of administrative experience in a school setting.
2. Experience in managing curriculum development, budgeting, group leadership, public relations issues.
1. Doctorate Degree preferred.
2. Experience a variety of areas within the education profession.
3. Experience with independent school parents.
4. Experience with the use of instruction technologies.
Additional Salary Information: Commensurate upon experience