The role will directly support the Head of Governance, Legal, Africa & Middle East (AME) and Head of Legal Middle East (ex UAE) in: * Managing legal matters and providing legal advice across MENA and/or managing external counsel, particularly in countries where there are no dedicated country lawyers * Driving a disciplined approach to governance matters across AME * Managing any projects and process improvement initiatives designed to improve governance and drive efficiencies across AME Legal within the region in accordance with Group standards and guidance
KEY STAKEHOLDERS: * Head of Governance, Legal AME / Head of Legal, MENA (ex UAE) * Regional General Counsel, AME * Regional Operational Risk, Legal, AME * Regional Legal and Product teams * Country Heads of Legal
EXAMPLES OF DAY-TO-DAY WORK / BAU: * Provide legal advice and support on legal matters and risks in AME as needed, coordinating and collaborating with Legal colleagues and stakeholders when necessary and appropriate. * Manage AME specific legal panel arrangements (where applicable) * Support on any major disputes, significant regulatory and government investigations ("RGIs") or cross-border/complex transactions that impact the ME. * Work with Compliance to manage relationships with local regulator(s). * Manage non-major disputes arising in country (where no Country legal counsel is present, and support Country Legal as required) and ensure LRMI entries are made accurately and in a timely fashion. Escalate major disputes to the DRT. * Provide proactive guidance and counsel to colleagues on matters relating to the conduct and the #knowtherules campaign. * Where applicable, work with Country and/or Group Company Secretariat to ensure that any and all responsibilities with respect to corporate governance are appropriately followed. * Assess day-to-day activities for opportunities to drive improvements, simplify processes, take out unnecessary steps, reduce costs and make decisions that improve the efficiency and effectiveness of Legal. * Provide legal advice and support to Shared Investigative Services in relation to any investigations upon which they require local assistance or guidance. * Provide Legal support to the country Supply Chain Management, Property, ITO, GSAM and Risk teams as and when needed. * Provide advice to HR and country business and functional teams on employment law issues. * Endeavour to align the priorities of Legal in country to the country business agenda, and seek to understand the application of the Group strategy at country level. * Actively collaborate and work seamlessly with Client Business, Product and other Country Legal teams and the Legal Practice Groups to foster a 'one team mindset' and present the Legal function to stakeholders as one unit.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
1. Governance and Legal * Proactively support and work closely with the Head of Governance, Legal AME/Head of Legal, Middle East (ex UAE) on all governance related matters affecting AME Legal. * Provide proactive, high quality and effective legal advice to the MENA Legal team and other requisite committees, on all governance, legal and regulatory issues that have a significant impact on the region, working with external counsel as appropriate. This includes, in particular, acting as a key point person for legal matters across MENA and for non presence countries, and working with management, including country CEO's, where there are no in-house country lawyers. * Support the Head of Governance, Legal, AME/Head of Legal, MENA (ex UAE) in defining and delivering the management information required to meet the governance and reporting responsibilities of the region * Ensure that any papers or reports to be tabled by Legal at relevant regional and country governance committees have been reviewed by appropriate Legal team members and clearly articulate the issues and legal risks involved and any approved mitigants. * Establish and maintain effective processes (including training, advice and support) to ensure that policies, procedures and standards addressing legal risk are effectively implemented across the regional Legal team. * Have an awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework in which the Group operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role * Work with local regulators (when required to do so) in an open and cooperative manner.
2. Strategy and Leadership * Work closely with the Head of Governance, Legal AME/Head of Legal, MENA (ex UAE), the Regional Operational Risk Manager, Legal and the Business Planning Manager, Legal AME as part of the Office of the Regional General Counsel, AME to identify gaps and implement actions to achieve best practices and efficiencies in AME Legal. * Promote a culture and practice of compliance with legal standards (including conducting business within legal and regulatory requirements, with high ethical standards) within the MENA region. * Embed a Here for good culture and comply with the Group Code of Conduct. * Follow the Group Management Responsibility Policy to ensure effective risk management and the implementation of proper controls across the MENA Legal team. * Support and collaborate with Head Governance, Legal, AME to develop effective strategies for identifying horizon risks for Legal and strengthening relationships with regional regulators. * Improve awareness, controls and efficiencies around cross border legal issues in MENA * Support the implementation of process improvement initiatives within the region, as directed by the Head of Governance, Legal AME/Head of Legal MENA (ex UAE) to drive efficiency across the Regional team and in line with Group frameworks and standards. * Support the regional roll out of Group projects and initiatives as and when required by the Head of Governance, Legal Governance, Legal AME/Head of Legal MENA (ex UAE).
3. Risk Management * Within the Group's overall Risk Management Framework, establish and maintain an appropriate risk-based approach to assessing, measuring, monitoring, managing and reporting Legal Risk arising in the ME region. * Act as, or assist the Process Owner, for any Group or Country processes owned by Legal where such processes are executed in the ME region. Be responsible for: (i) the management of such processes in line with the Group's process universe as set out in the Group Operational Risk Framework; and (ii) associated risks, including activities within the processes which are carried out by the businesses or other functions or which are hubbed or outsourced. * Act as, or assist the Risk Control Owner, for Legal Enforceability and Liability Risks arising in the ME region, as set out in the Group's Risk Management Framework. * Maintain an awareness and understanding of the top risks facing the Group and the role played in managing them.
4. Regulatory and Business Conduct * Displays exemplary conduct and live by the Group's values and Code of Conduct. * Works on embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across the Group. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct. * Effectively and collaboratively identifies, escalates, mitigates and resolves risk, conduct and compliance matters.
Qualifications and Skills
* Qualified Lawyer with post qualification experience in the Middle East. Arabic language skills an advantage, but not essential * A flexible, inquisitive approach to practices, procedures and legal risk * Strong interpersonal and communication skills, effective team player and multi cultural awareness and sensitivity. * Understanding of risk management issues and techniques. * Sound judgment of business practices, regulatory relationship management and reputational risk. * Ability to operate within a geographically dispersed and highly varied stakeholder base. * Ability to collaborate and work dynamically across country, region, business and group stakeholders. * Strong project management and organisational skills. * Ability to effectively prioritise multiple tasks in a high pressure environment. * Exemplary integrity, ethics, independence and resilience. * Ability to work in a matrix organisation, leveraging resources across the organisation to complete deliverables. * Ability to handle sensitive matters at all levels of the organisation with discretion and confidentiality.
How To Apply
You can search and view current opportunities across our organisation and apply immediately by visiting www.standardchartered.com and selecting Careers. To help speed up your application, please note the following:
- You will need to log in (or register if you are visiting our careers site for the first time) before you can apply for a specific role
- Some roles may require you to undertake an online talent assessment in addition to completing the application form (to facilitate this process it is preferable that you provide us with an email address as part of your contact information) - We will ask you about your education, career history and skills and experience, it may be helpful to have this information at hand when completing your application
It usually takes 15 - 20 minutes to complete the application form; you can save your application at any time and return to complete it at your convenience.
The closing date for applications is 26/09/2017. Please note all closing dates are given in Hong Kong time (GMT + 8 hours). We aim to respond to successful applicants within four weeks and will keep a record or your application in our database so that we can contact you when suitable vacancies arise in future.
Diversity and Inclusion
Standard Chartered is committed to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a work environment which embraces diversity will enable us to get the best out of the broadest spectrum of people to sustain strong business performance and competitive advantage. By building an inclusive culture, each employee can develop a sense of belonging, and have the opportunity to maximise their personal potential.