PROGRAM COORDINATOR FOR DEVELOPMENT Duke Performances at Duke University (Durham, NC)
Duke Performances — the professional performing arts presenter at Duke University — is, for the first time, hiring an employee to work in a development capacity to help support the organization's expanding portfolio.
Here's a list of responsibilities more or less in order of importance:
1. Work closely with Duke Performances leadership to manage inaugural Advisory Board, including overall strategy for planning two annual meetings and two mid-term conference calls (overseeing meeting agendas and materials, meeting logistics, new member orientations, and special programming).
2) Coordinating with University Development to facilitate cultivation with individual donors, this includes initiating communications with donors and prospects; providing briefing materials and managing follow-up; writing donor correspondence and preparing stewardship reports; planning development special events, dinners, and on-campus visits.
3) Coordinate and track twice-annual direct mail campaigns soliciting annual fund support for Duke Performances.
4) Take part in development planning meetings with Office of Development Special Initiatives related to annual giving and major gift prospects to Duke Performances. Develop and execute internal communications strategy to keep frontline fundraisers up to date regarding program priorities and resources.
5) Develop and maintain lists — gleaned from current donors and ticket buyers — for active and prospective donors to Duke Performances. Keep meticulous donor records in DADD (Duke Alumni & Development Database). Work with associate director to develop a donor database specific to Duke Performances.
6) Participate in grant writing for Duke Performances as part of a team that includes the associate director and coordinator of campus & community engagement.
About Duke Performances: Duke Performances (DP) is the professional performing arts presenting organization at Duke University. DP is committed to presenting willfully eclectic, forward-thinking performing arts of the highest quality. Through superb performances, outstanding visiting artist residencies and the development and commissioning of exciting new work, DP is forging a culture that vigorously supports live performance and encourages meaningful engagement with the Duke campus and Durham community. Annually, DP offers a robust season of 70-80 world-class performances, making extensive use of a network of Duke and Durham venues, presenting artists spanning classical, new music, jazz, Americana, independent rock, international music, theater, and dance.
Requirements: • Work requires communications, analytical, and organizational skills generally acquired through completion of a bachelor's degree program. • Work requires three years of experience in fundraising or a related field (alumni affairs, marketing, public relations). • Weeknight and weekend availability required
Preferences: • Prefer candidates with individual donor, grant writing, and direct mail experience. • Familiarity with and appreciation of the performing arts and fundraising in higher education is substantial plus. • Experience in or familiarity with the performing arts management or higher education administration. • Event planning experience.
Competencies: • Strategic thinker with strong interpersonal skills, including ability to work as a team member and leader, as well as ability to work independently. • Demonstrated ability to manage multifaceted programs, prioritize ongoing and deadline-based tasks, and to work with shifting priorities and schedules.
Over the past decade Duke Performances — Duke University’s professional presenter of performing arts — has established a national reputation for showcasing both essential & forward-looking performance. The organization offers a robust & willfully eclectic season of roughly 80 performances across a network of a dozen venues both on campus & in town. Alongside standalone presentations, DP has commis...sioned & developed 40+ new works in music, theater, and dance over the past decade. Additionally, DP has distinguished itself by convening exceptional artist residencies — featuring world-class artists in music, theater & dance — that serve to engage the Duke campus (students & faculty) & the Durham community.